Defender/Nurse/Question

I felt confused, not knowing why my feet ran towards Cassandra's cries, still feeling the utter sting of House Dimitrescu's betrayal against me, but couldn't seem to help myself. I followed the sound into a side room beside the kitchen, and instantly shuddered, the icy chill of the outdoors flowing around me, my breath misting out in front of my face. My eyes widened, as I realized someone was breaking the windows. That put utter fear into my heart, knowing how deadly the cold could be not for just me, but for Daniela, Cassandra, Bela, and Alcina as well, though why I still cared about them, I wasn't sure. I struggled for a few moments as I lifted some wooden boards, my body still drained of energy, but managed to slowly, one by one, cover up the broken windows, desperately trying to cover up all the holes, so that none of us would freeze to death. I hurried as fast as I could, Cassandra's screams of rage and agony making me want to move quickly, then raced into the place where the sounds came from, feeling my heart twist with fear at what I saw.

Ethan Winters had managed to somehow get his disgusting hands on a gun, and was using it to shoot at Cassandra, who looked as terrified as I was feeling. Her eyes widened a bit as they landed on me, and I was glad the mortal hadn't noticed me yet as she had. I snuck up behind him as silently as I could, grabbed the back of his shirt, and flung him against the far wall with pure fury. "HOW DARE YOU HURT HER?! YOU HORRIBLE MORTAL!" I easily could hear his bones crunch and crack with the force of his body colliding with the wall, and yet, he still managed to stagger to his feet, now pointing his weapon of choice at me. "Why the fuck are you defending her? They all want to kill you, too! They abandoned you!" His words caused me to flinch, and I couldn't say he wasn't speaking the truth. "It doesn't matter.. Whether or not they wish me dead, they are still family in my heart, and I will not allow you to spill their blood in their own home. If you wish to kill any of them, you will have to deal with me first."

I wasn't expecting him to shrug, or to pull the trigger, but the next thing I knew was agonizing pain in my chest, the taste of my own blood pooling in my throat. I felt confused- The Lycans were unable to harm me that badly, and not even Alcina could have harmed me that way with one strike, so why was it that I was suffering so greatly from one small shotgun shell? My vision began to blur, but I fought back the exhaustion, shakily keeping my body in front of Cassandra. "Leave, Ethan Winters, before I kill you. I want to so very badly, but if I do, the ones I care about, no matter how they've hurt me, will be punished for it along with me. So I am allowing you, just this once, to run, before I truly lose my temper. Killing Cassandra will not help you find your lost child, either, so go.." He glared at me, but took off running a few moments later, and I dropped the tough act, falling backwards, right into Cassandra's arms. I weakly told her, "Do what you must.. Kill me, if it keeps you safe. I have nothing left to live for here, anyway. You all are a family, and I am not part of it."

Cassandra frowned down at me, and I saw tears shining in her eyes, as one of her hands softly stroked my hair. "No, Alex. I don't care what Mother was told to do, nor what we were told to do. I can't kill you. You're my best friend, and I thought you were dead." I forced my eyes to stay open, and weakly shook my head. "Your mother didn't quite manage to kill me, not that it matters. I know I can't stay here, and that the other Lords will be hunting me as well, but I'm so exhausted and cold." I swear her face turned at least three shades paler at that, and she tugged her cloak off, revealing a small and beautiful white gown underneath it, then wrapped me carefully in the cloak, holding me even closer. "She will be angry with me, but I think I should take you to Mother. You're hurt, and you aren't healing as fast as you should be. It'll be alright.. Thank you for defending me, and for fixing the windows. After all we've done, you didn't need to, but you still did it to protect us from the cold.."