Chapter 8

As Percy expected the news of dementor attack on Harry spread even faster than a wild fire . Today he noticed Umbridge was glaring at him during the whole class like he had kicked her puppy .

At five that day both Percy and Harry made their way towards Professor Umbridge's office on third floor . Percy tried rubbing the exhaustion from his eyes and knocked on the door . He had finished the essay on Draught of sleeping death at 2 a.m . He is still tired . He just want to take a nice long sleep after this . His internal ramblings were interrupted by a sugary voice " Come in " .

Harry cautiously opened the door like he is opening one of the twins joke products . Both entered the room only to be treated by the scene of Professor Toadface in all her glory sitting at her desk , a nasty vision of pink . Percy looked in horror as every inch of the stone wall were covered by the moving pictures of cats . The surfaces had all been draped in lacy covers and cloths. There were several vases full of dried flowers, each residing on its own doily . Percy involuntarily shuddered at the sight in front of him . It is even worse than Aphrodite cabin Percy thought with a disgusted frown looking around the room .

" Good evening , boys " a cool voice greeted bringing back his attention .

Percy nodded distractedly while Harry said " Evening " .

"Well, sit down," she said, pointing toward a small tables draped in lace beside which she had drawn up a straight-backed chair. Two pieces of blank parchment lay on the table, apparently waiting for them . Both the boys glanced nervously at each other before sitting down .

"Er," said Harry once he sat down . "Professor Umbridge? Er - before we start, I-I wanted to ask you a . . . a favor."

Her bulging eyes narrowed. "Oh yes?"

"Well I'm . . . I'm on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. And I was supposed to be at the tryouts for the new Keeper at five o'clock on Friday and I was - was wondering whether I could skip detention that night and do it - do it another night . . . instead . . ."

Percy knew long before he reached the end of his sentence that it was no good.

"Oh no," said Umbridge, smiling so widely that she looked as though she had just swallowed a particularly juicy fly. "Oh no, no, no. This is your punishment for spreading evil, nasty, attention-seeking stories, Mr. Potter, and punishments certainly cannot be adjusted to suit the guilty one's convenience. No, you will come here at five o'clock tomorrow, and the next day, and on Friday too, and you will do your detentions as planned. I think it rather a good thing that you are missing something you really want to do. It ought to reinforce the lesson I am trying to teach you."

Percy could feel Harry's anger radiating from him , he is one step away from jinxing Umbridge with his wand . Percy shook his head indicating to not do anything stupid . Thankfully Harry understood it giving a subtle nod to Percy .

After a moment or two passed "There," said Umbridge sweetly, "we're getting better at controlling our temper already, aren't we? Now, you are going to be doing some lines for me, Mr. Potter. No, not with your quill," she added, as both Harry and Percy bent down to open their bag. "You're going to be using a rather special one of mine. Here you are."

She handed them a long, thin black quill with an unusually sharp point with a evil glint in her eye that made Percy's toes curl . He had seen that look on thousands of monsters before .

"I want you to write 'I must not tell lies,' " she told him softly. "How many times?" Harry asked, with a creditable imitation of politeness. "Oh, as long as it takes for the message to sink in," said Umbridge sweetly. "Off you go." She moved over to her desk, sat down, and bent over a stack of parchment that looked like essays for marking.