chapter 13

Over the next week as my leg healed, Wanda, Pietro and I spent our time playing games, reading and talking. By day 6 my leg had completely healed, thanks to my powers, which was good as we had run out of meat which meant I needed to go hunting. Pietro and Wanda were going stir crazy being cooped up in the hut for the last week and asked to come hunting with me, I nodded in agreement as this means I could hunt as a wolf. It had been over a month since I was in my wolf form and I dearly missed it, I felt more comfortable as a wolf and over the years I spent as much time as I could as one.

It was early the next morning I woke the twins up and explained how the hunt was going to work, I handed each of them a hunting knife.

"What is this for?" asked Pietro,

"These are hunting knives, since you are coming with me today we are going to be doing things a little different. You guys are going to follow as I track prey, then once I have taken down said prey you guys are going to collect the meat while I keep watch."

"Are you going in wolf form?" asked Wanda.

I nodded and handed each of them a bag to carry the meat in, I shifted into a wolf and lead them out to begin the hunt.

While we walked I sniffed the air searching for a scent, I smelt an elk had been through here. Following the scent I made sure that Pietro and Wanda stayed close, after a mile or two I caught sight of the elk grazing on a small patch of grass, I looked at the twins and gave them a nod to stay. They nodded back as I began to stalk and move closer to my prey, I stayed down wind of it and inched as close as I could. Once I was less then a few meters away I lunged for it, grabbing it around the neck with my jaws and flinging it to the ground. Once down I snapped its neck and it went limp, I let go and signaled for them to come over and I shifted back.

"Wow you are strong." Pietro said as he stared at the dead elk.

"Perks of having powers, as a wolf I'm a lot strong then normal wolves so I can take down bigger prey." I stated matter of facttly. I showed them what part of the meat we want plus how to carve it, after a few minutes both Wanda and Pietro were carving at the elk. I stood watch as prey this size would attract other wildlife, when we were almost done I heard a howl that was close. I shifted back into a wolf and stood in a defensive position near the twins, I scanned the nearby forest for any sign of the wolves that howled.

Before long I saw a dark brown wolf come from behind a tree, I relaxed when I saw it was Starla. I walked and closed the gap slightly between us, she started to sniff me until realization hit her on who I was.

Luna?

I heard her voice in my head, (yet another perk of being able to change into animals), and a wave of happiness washed over me.

Yes Starla, its me.

Starla jumped at me and began licking my face causing me to change back and hug her. I laughed at how puppy like she still was even though she was grown.

"I missed you little wolf." I said, patting her head.

Just then I heard more footsteps and saw the rest of her pack watching us, I kneeled down and watched as Starla lead the black wolf over to me. After a moment I heard his voice in my head.

Hello Luna we meet again.

I nodded my hello.

Tell me did you bring down this prey?

I nodded again. He looked at Starla then back at me.

I am Drax leader of this pack and mate to Starla.

I smiled, "Nice to meet you Drax, how has hunting been for you today?"

Not well, prey is scarce and we a forced to roam farther out in search of food.

"Well if by the end of the day if you haven't found food, follow my scent to our home and we will share what we have with you." I offered.

He nodded his head and lead the pack off in the opposite direction.

You quickly head back to Pietro and Wanda, a confused look on their faces at your interaction with the wolves. You shrug,

"Perks of being a wolf".

The walk back was quiet and the air around was heavy, You could tell they wanted to ask about what happened but they seem unsure about how to ask. Once back at the hut you started cutting the elk into chunks and storing it, the twins were whispering on the couch as you worked until you sighed.

"Just ask" you say to them, making them snap their heads around to you.

"We just wanna know what's going to happen if the wolves do show up tonight, are they gonna attack us?" asked Wanda.

"No they wont, I offered them food because the dark brown one that was happy to see me is a wolf I rescued when she were a pup, barely a few weeks old, and that is her new pack."

"So your like her mother?" asked Pietro. I laughed.

"No no, she see's me more as an older sister and friend."

I sat down and told them how I found her and raised her until she was in need of a wolf pack, I told them about the months we spent together, hunting, learning and fighting to stay alive. Pietro and Wanda were gobsmacked. I smiled and waited for them to speak. The both yelled at the same time, YOUR SO COOL! I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair.

Once they calmed down we decided to play a few games for awhile, just passing the time away. It grew dark outside and I heard the howl's of the pack coming closer, we made our way outside but Pietro and Wanda stayed close to me just in case.

The pack came into view and watched us closely,

"Pietro can you light the fire pit for warmth?" I asked him.

He nodded and placed firewood in the pit while I snapped my finger for my fire and lit it. I motioned for the pack to make themselves comfortable around the fire, Wanda and I retreated inside and gathered the bits of meat I had prepared earlier. One by one we place a chunk of meat in front of each member of the pack While Pietro cooked up some for us and made a salad.

A few hours pass when Drax came over to me with two dark grey wolves following him.

Luna, this is So and Ba, they are twins and the wish to meet your friends as they can tell they are twins.

I chuckle and nodded, The two wolves followed me over to Wanda and Pietro.

"Wanda? Pietro? this is So and Ba, they are twins and wanted to meet you." I gestured to the two wolves near my legs. 

They all looked scared for a moment until Wanda held out her hand to Ba, Ba sniffed it and began to lick it making Wanda giggle. Ba relaxed and sat next to Wanda, her head on Wanda's lap while, So was laying across Pietro's legs nibbling on his shoe lace. I laughed and went back to my seat.

Thank you Luna.

Drax's voice spoke in my head, I inclined my head in acknowledgement and went back to my own thoughts.

As it got later several wolves along with Wanda had dozed off, it was cold outside tonight as the first signs of winter approaching in a month or two. I went back inside the hut and moved the coffee table out the way, I used my power to make soft grass and vines grow on the floor to make a big sort of bed. I went back outside and told Pietro to put Wanda to bed while I see to our other guests, he nodded and gently picked her up and taking her inside.

"Drax, I have made a space for the pack to sleep out of the cold tonight." I held the hut door open as Drax lead the pack into the hut, they immediately made a big puppy pile in the grass and vines and went to sleep.

I sighed as Pietro emerged from Wanda's room and made his way over to me, pulling me into his embrace. He kissed my passionately, his hand on the back of my neck. When he finally pulled away for a breath he whispered "Goodnight princesa" and disappeared into his own room leaving me flustered. I quickly made my way back to my room and shut the door, I felt a heat between my legs but I ignored it as my mind drifted back to when HYDRA would do things to me. I slipped down to the floor and held my knees to me chest, trying to think of something else.