chapter 8

TW: violent threat

(Nick POV)

"Thank you," he whispers.

My eyes widen. 

He-

He just-

HOLY SHIT HE JUST FUCKING SPOK-

His voice is soft, it's dripping with sugar and raw honey, it's melodic. I wish I could hear it again. But I don't.

But I do.

But I don't.

Do I?

Fuck. 

I pull back, my hands lingering on his forearms. "Karl...?" I whisper, my voice barely audible. He smiles weakly and fidgets uncomfortably. I blink before comprehending that he doesn't like that I'm staring at him as if he just time traveled in front of me. 

"Sorry," I mutter, looking down. He giggles. My stomach flips. 

Oh my God-

I glance up, my eyes wide again. I quickly shut them a bit more. I don't want to make him uncomfortable. 

He reaches for his notebook and scribbles something down before handing it to me again. 

You're the first person who's made me feel safe and feel like I matter in years. I trust you with my voice. And my laugh. And, maybe, my stories.

I look up, smiling. He winks. Shit

He takes his book again and hands it to me a minute later. 

Thank you. You were my first friend since middle school. You helped me through hard times. You helped me make new friends who help and protect me. You never once complained that I didn't talk, you never once made me feel bad in any way. I'm so grateful for your friendship, and I hope that we'll stay friends for a long time.

I don't look up when I'm done reading. Not right away. I launch myself towards him, throwing my arms around his neck. We hit the mattress, both of us giggling. 

"I hope we stay friends, too," I say. "Thank you, too." 

I sit up a bit, just now noticing our position. I'm laying on top of him, our legs tangled up and our chests pressed together. Our faces are less than a foot apart.

"Um," I mumble, heat spreading throughout my face. I don't know what to do right now. 

Karl takes a shaky breath before grabbing his notebook and pencil and writing two words: I'm bi.

My entire world comes to a halt. 

For the duration of our friendship, the duration of my ever growing crush, I wondered. I wondered if he was into boys too. If it was just me. Our friends know I like him. I didn't even tell them. They can just tell. 

My mouth opens, but nothing comes out. He winces and tries to hide behind his book. My fingers curl around the top of the lined pages and pull down a bit. His face, his beautiful, perfect, still bruised face comes back into view. 

I smile gently, taking in his loose brown waves, his light pink cheeks, his chocolate brown eyes. 

"I am too," I whisper. 

(Karl POV)

YESSSSSSS-

(Nick POV)

He smiles, the blush covering his cheeks growing. My eyes widen a bit and I look back down at us. "Sorry," I mumble, quickly scrambling off of him. He shakes his head while smiling. He's fine. I nod.