chapter 12

TW: homophobia, (cyber)bullying, F slur

(Karl POV)

"Well, isn't this cute?"

Fear slowly rises in my throat. Actually, not very slowly. Quite fast. I'm terrified.

How long have they been standing there for?

I recognize one. He's the soccer jock that harrased us this morning. He's leaning against the actual wall, opposed to the bookshelf. His arms are crossed and he's glaring daggers at Nick and I, a small smirk covering his face.

His friend looks like another soccer jock. He's in the entrance, blocking anyone else's way in - and our way out. His phone is raised and trained on us. I don't know if he's recording or not. 

"Hey, guys," Nick says calmly. "How'd you find us? I could've sworn we were hidden so well." 

Um.

Dylan sneers. "Yeah, I'm sure. We just followed you here, dummy. More than once. Very boring."

Okay, I think, doesn't sound like they've heard me.

"Just got here, in fact." Good. "What about you?"

"A few minutes ago," Nick replies steadily. They both nod, evil grins morphing on their faces. "Y'all can go now." 

"Why should we? So you homos can make out?" The Other Jock asks. 

"And where did you get the idea that we would do that?" 

"You were cuddling," Dylan says. 

"Hugging." 

"Same difference," TOJ snaps. 

"We were just talking about something important!" Nick exclaims, jumping up. "Friends hug all the time!" 

"Not like that," Dylan hisses. "There's something between you and it isn't friendship."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Nick says firmly and loudly. I stand up to put my hands on his shoulder to try to calm him down. Dylan scoffs.

"Always got to get your boyfriend to stop you, huh?"

He practically spits out the word boyfriend.

Nick tries to step forward, but I move to stand in front of him and plant my hands firmly on his chest. We aren't doing this again.

His nostrils flare as the two boys laugh. I cough quietly to get his attention. His features visibly relax as we make eye contact. Blush involuntairly creeps into my cheeks, causing Nick to smirk ever so slightly. Another camera click.

"I'd say get a room, but I think we're in yours," Dylan jokes. I frown even though I'm not facing him. A camera clicks again. Nick glowers.

"Why do you keep taking pictures." It's more of a statement than a question, but they don't notice. 

Both of our phones buzz.

I pull mine out.

Oh no.

"To do that."

Oh, no.

"Have fun, fags."

~~

All eyes are on Nick and I as we walk down the hall. I'm sure Nick's used to this attention. I'm sure not. I hate it all. Every bit of it.

I look over at Nick. He's staring straight ahead with his shoulders back, his head held high, and his back stiff. His face is serious and he looks like he won't take anyone's shit. 

He looks confident. Strong.

I want that.

I straighten my back and shoulders and pick my gaze up off the floor. It surprises me; it works. I feel more confident.

I don't know where we're going, but I guess we're headed somewhere. We're walking quickly, Nick is looking around, and he looks determined. 

"Guys!" he calls. I jolt a bit. I look around, and spot Bad and Dream near their lockers. I don't know where George and Skeppy are. Probably still eating.

"Are you guys ok?" Bad asks, running towards us.

"Yeah. Just shaken I think," Nick replies. I nod.

"That's good. We know what it's like to be publicly outed," Dream muttered.

I remember that. It was tenth grade, when Nick, Bad, and Dream were in ninth. Freshmen. Bad and Skeppy were publicly outed as dating along with Dream and George at a school dance. I wasn't there, but it was all over my Twitter the next day.

The four of them handled it like the pros they are. They confirmed that they were gay and bi and that they were dating within their friend group. They said they wouldn't back down from a situation like that and confront it head on. 

I thought they were amazing .

"Guys!" The four of us turn towards the voice. George and Skeppy are booking it towards us. They lean on the lockers, trying to catch their breath, as the mean stares keep poking at Nick and I.

"What happened in there? Everyone thinks you're dating!" Skeppy exclaims breathlessly.

"Skeppy!" Bad hisses.

"What?"

"Really? That's the first question you ask? 'What happened in there?' This is basically a hate crime, and you ask what happened in there?" Nick asks loudly. I grab his hand and gently pull on his sleeve, but he ignores me.

"Hey, there's reason to ask!" Skeppy points out, his voice raising louder than Nick's. I instinctively step behind Nick. Bad notices and gently touches Skeppy's shoulder.

"But do you have to ask it right away?" Nick yells. I feel so many - too many - eyes on us. 

"Shut it!" George shouts. I flinch and hide farther behind Nick. 

"Skeppy, maybe don't ask that right off the bat. Give them some breathing room. And Sapnap, for crying out loud, don't be such an ass. You did the same thing when this happened to us," George says sternly.

"Language," Bad mutters. 

"Plus, you're scaring Karl," Dream adds.

"Yeah," agrees George.

"You too," Dream whispers.

"Oh. Sorry, Karl," George says.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, too," Skeppy sighs.

Nick turns around, wrapping his arms around me for the millionth time today. Yet everytime he hugs me, it gets a million times better. 

"I'm sorry for scaring you," he murmurs. I heitantly wrap my arms around his back and nod. My eyes flutter shut and I bury my face in his shoulder. 

"Get a room!" someone yells. I don't know if it's directed at Nick and I, but when I pull my arms back and turn around to glare at them, everyone is staring at us. I slink back to hide behind Nick once more. Too much attention. 

Everyone is staring at us.

I guess this is my new life.

Word Count 1024

edit (12/24/21): i just realized it seems like im probably babying karl cuz he's always hiding behind sapnap. but in this, he's scared of fighting and loud noises because of his past.