chapter 9

TW: violence, fight, blood, homophobia

(Karl POV)

My hands start shaking. Nick is going to get himself seriously injured. I try to pull him back again, but he stays strong. 

A gentle hand settles on my shoulder and I turn to see Skeppy standing tall behind me. He nods at me and I smile thankfully.

I look back towards the locker. Keith is walking over, staring at me. His face is neutral as his gaze flicks to me and Nick's hands. I feel heat climb into my cheeks.

Keith was the first person I came out to. His exact words were, "I don't care who you love, as long as you're happy." My world crumbled when he punched me. 

"This is cute," Keith says, smiling. It sounds earnest, but no one notices. 

"Isn't it? The nerd finally found someone who loves him," a brunette cheerleader teases. I feel my limbs tense up. 

"About time," a lacrosse player jokes. 

"Yeah, it's not every day that a nerd like him can find someone," Keith says. 

"Uh huh. And what about her?" Nick says, motioning to a petite red head girl, cowering in the corner. 

"What about her?" Keith growls.

"Is she not your girlfriend of the week?" 

"I was going to break up with her anyway." 

The girl sighs in relief and runs down the hallway, her long braids trailing behind her. "She seemed eager," Skeppy mumbles. Keith frowns at him. 

"What do you want anyway, Dylan?" Keith asks the soccer player. 

"Oh, I just wanted to introduce everyone to the happy couple," Dylan says, smiling. 

"We aren't dating," Nick says. It sounds forced. 

"Your hands say otherwise." 

"They're just hands."

"Anyway," Keith interjects. "I'm just so darn happy our resident nerd found friends."

"Yeah, you'd be happy, wouldn't you?" Nick says smugly.

"What?"

"Your friend moved on fast, huh?" 

"What are you talking about?"

"6 goddamn years ago!" Nick hisses.

"What does anything have to do with seventh grade?" Keith asks.

"Not ringing any bells? No certain people you let go for no reason?" Nick asks, motioning towards me. I shoot him a quick glare. Keith's glare hardens on me.

"You told him? About seventh grade?" he growls. I nod slowly. Whispers drift through the jocks and cheerleaders. 

"Yes, yes, guess what, everyone!" Nick yells. "Keith an-" I clap and hand over his mouth before he can continue. He glances at me and I shake my head. 

"Why would you tell him?" Keith asks, suddenly three feet closer to me.

"Because he wanted to open up to me," Nick says.

"Let him talk for himself," Keith snaps. 

"He can't!" Nick yells. "He can't talk! I mean, he can, but because you didn't stand up for him enough, and now this, he doesn't speak!" 

"How much did he tell you?" 

"Enough."

Keith turns to glare at me again. "I thought there were some things that we didn't share." 

I am so fed up with this guy. Honestly. I'm super weak, but I still want to punch him. So I just... do it. 

I curl my fist into a ball and throw it into his stomach. He grabs at his gut and smirks. "Weak. As always."

"He hasn't had much practice," Nick says, dropping my hand. "I, on the other hand..." He punches Keith right where I did, probably 3 times harder. I let out an involuntary gasp and someone drags me back. Dream steps in front of me, George, and Bad. Skeppy does too. 

"What are you doing, Snap? You're no wrestler," Keith snarls, crouching into a fighting stance. 

"Neither are you. There's no wrestling team," Nick replies, imitating Keith. 

A circle forms around them, and a chant starts. 

"Fight, fight, fight, fight."

My own personal chant starts in my head. 

"No, no, no, no."

I duck under Bad's arms and fight my way towards Nick. I get to the front of the circle in time to see him get a blow to the nose. I cover my mouth to keep a yell in. He jumps up and tackles Keith, throwing punch after punch. 

"Nicky should try for football with that tackle," a football jock jokes. I glare at him so hard he flinches. 

I turn back to the fight. Blood drips down both of their noses. Bruises are already forming. 

No, no, no.

Keith may be my worst bully. He may have been the first one to punch me. 

But he was always the first to stand up for me. The last on to break off contact with me. He was the last one to start bullying me. 

He was the last one to hate me. 

Word Count 779

yes, short chapter, im sorry

also, because this book got 200 reads so fast (thank you), QUICK UPDATE

im in another province :D