05: Empty assurances

MARCUS DIDN'T LET me help with the food preparation. I stayed quiet, simply enjoying our moment together. I didn't want to say anything that might lead to an awkward conversation. We were in the middle of eating when I heard him clear his throat before speaking. "Do you eat often?"

My brows furrowed. "Why?"

"You're thin."

"I sometimes forget to eat. I don't often cook, either. Nakakawalang gana ang mag-isa... That's why I usually hang out with Elisha."

He suddenly dropped the utensils he was holding, looking at me with concern.

"What?"

He looked at me seriously. "You should always make time to eat."

"Stay with me so I won't feel lonely."

He didn't respond. He stood up and took his plate, walking to the kitchen. I followed him and saw him washing the dishes. "Marcus... why did you walk away?"

"I just finished eating," he said to me in a chilly tone.

I knew I couldn't force him any further, so I gave up and went back to the dining table. I didn't continue eating because I suddenly felt full, so I started to clean up instead.

I heard his footsteps approaching. "I'm leaving now."

I didn't look at him anymore. I was afraid I might say something else—maybe I'd ask him not to leave... or that he should just stay here forever. "Sure. Thank you." I uttered.

I WAS FEELING so frustrated that I cleaned every corner of the apartment. Napangiwi ako dahil sumakit na naman ang aking puson. I spent the entire day sulking in the living room, watching children's movies to lift my spirits. I tried my best to avoid thinking about Marcus. Moments later, I fell asleep on the couch and woke up late at night. My phone suddenly rang. I wasn't expecting anyone to call me at this hour. "Hello? Who's thi—" I winced from the sharp pain in my lower body. I headed straight to the restroom and put the phone on speaker.

"Are you okay?"

"Hindi..."

He suddenly hung up after I heard a curse from the other end. After that, I went to my room to lie down. I didn't feel like cooking or ordering food, either. I was used to skipping meals.

A few minutes passed when the doorbell suddenly rang. I wasn't expecting any visitors, and I wasn't in the mood to open the door for anyone. Then, I received another call from the unknown number that had called me earlier.

"This is Marcus. Please let me in."

I was taken aback. I wanted to stand up and let him in, but the pain in my stomach was overwhelming. "I can't open the door. The password is 627287."

"What?! We have the same password."

"Why did you choose your name as the password? That's so easy to hack," I said, laughing.

"Okay, I'll change it." I heard the door open and saw worry in his eyes. He quickly came over to me and checked my face, then gently caressed it.

"MAYBE A LOT of women fall for you when you act like this with them."

"What happened to you? Kumain ka na ba?"

I laughed.

"Why are you laughing?" he asked, furrowing his brows.

"I'm just glad you're here. Lie down beside me. I'll be okay."

"Later. Just stay put. I'll make you dinner so you can take your medicine. You're not allergic to paracetamol, are you?" he asked as he brushed my hair.

"Nope."

He nodded and then stepped out of the room. I waited for about an hour before he returned. Marcus came back carrying a tray of food.

"Thanks, mahal..." I uttered, smiling.

He glared at me. "Kumain ka na."

I was about to grab the spoon when he suddenly beat me to it. He blew on the soup to cool it down and fed me. He had been taking care of me the whole time. "Thank you for taking care of me..."

AFTER I FINISHED eating, he gave me my medicine. He stepped out for a moment to return the dishes. When he came back, he sat on the bed and faced me. "I never knew how painful it could be for women every month," he said with a sigh, looking at me. "I'm really glad you're okay..." He smiled sweetly.

I patted the space beside me, and he sat down next to me. "How did you get my number?" I asked. As far as I knew, we only talked online, and he never asked for my number.

"I have my ways..." he said with a chuckle.

"Can you stay with me while I sleep?" I asked, hoping he wouldn't say no.

There was a moment of silence as he thought it over. "Okay... But I'll leave once you're asleep. I need to make sure you're okay," he said. He lay down beside me, looking at me seriously.

"Can I hug you? It's been so long since we last hugged."

"Sure..."

I wrapped my arms around him tightly, using one of his arms as a pillow. Slowly, I felt him hug me back, gently caressing my back. I closed my eyes and savored the moment, aware that he would be leaving tomorrow. "Goodnight, mahal..." I whispered after a long, peaceful silence, then let myself drift off to sleep.

"Goodnight din, mahal..." I heard him reply.

I smiled. I wanted to open my eyes to see if he really said that or if I was just hallucinating... But my eyelids felt too heavy, and I couldn't fight off the sleep any longer.

I felt a sense of safety I hadn't known in a long while.