09: Clandestine eye

I HURRIEDLY WALKED to our classroom and almost ended up late. I immediately sat next to Elisha and smiled at them. I noticed Zius looking at me, sitting next to Lev, who seemed worried. I heard about what happened between him and Coren. I didn't really understand it all. I was too preoccupied with Franco, so I only found out the news in class.

"Hey, are you okay?" Elisha asked me with concern.

"Of course. I got drunk last night and accidentally hurt my legs," I explained.

Our class lasted for two hours, so I was really hungry when I left the classroom. I wanted some time alone, but Amaris suddenly pulled me aside. "I'll make it up to you guys. I've been really busy these past few months. I'm really sorry," she said.

We arrived at the cafeteria when Marcus suddenly waved at Amaris with a grin. That smile disappeared as soon as he saw me. Does he hate me that much that he can't even smile at me? I felt a pang in my heart when I realized that Marcus and Amaris really knew each other. It explained why he was always by her side. It made me feel jealous, especially since he didn't act that way with me. I brushed it off, reminding myself that I should be focusing on Franco instead.

"Here's my card. You can order whatever you want," Amaris said.

The twins' mouths dropped open. They were rich and generous, but they always seemed delighted when someone else was paying. "What are you guys ordering?" Elisha asked us happily.

"A sandwich and a soda for me," I said. Mabuti na lang at vacant namin ngayong hapon.

"Gusto ko ng burger," Amaris replied.

"I'll just have carbonara. Kayo na ang bahala sa drinks," Marcus responded.

AFTER THE TWINS left, Marcus continued to stare at me. Feeling uncomfortable, I opened my phone. I was glad to see a text from Franco. It made it easier to avoid the awkwardness of the situation.

How are you?
Don't forget to
eat your snacks.

I'm fine.
Nag order pa sila
ng snacks.

You're eating

with whom?
Amaris, Marcus,Eli and Zius.

Okay.

I suddenly recalled what Franco had mentioned earlier. Since he was tracking me, it wasn't out of the question that he had someone watching over me. I looked at Marcus, who was still staring, and shook my head. I knew he loved his brother, so it made sense that he might be one of the people keeping tabs on me. "Hey, spy ka ba ni Franco?" I blurted out.

Both Amaris and Marcus looked at me. He furrowed his brow, deep in thought.

"Bingi ka?"

"What do you mean? Is he watching you even when he's not here?" Marcus asked.

I shrugged. Fine, he didn't know anything, so I wouldn't push it. I stayed quiet and waited for our food to come.

AFTER WE FINISHED eating, I said my goodbyes. They mentioned heading to the library, while I intended to take a nap in the empty classroom during lunchtime. I took off the bandage from my thigh and applied medicine to my wounds. They were quite deep, and I could still see the marks from Franco's fingers. I winced from the pain. I couldn't believe that even though Franco's nails weren't long, they could still leave such cuts.

"Zaiah..." it was Marcus' voice.

"Oh? What are you doing here? Hindi mo 'to classroom..." I glanced at him quickly before returning to treat my wounds. I sighed. "I forgot that you own this school. Tsk! You shouldn't have come here. It'll just add to the gossip about me."

"What do you mean? Are they talking bad about you?" he asked with concern.

"What do you think? You made me look like a fool in your cafeteria! I'm being closely monitored by Franco, at ako pa ang malandi dahil pinagsasabay ko kayo?"

"They said that to you?" His jaw tightened, and his fists clenched.

"Pretty much..." I said with little enthusiasm.

"Your legs..." he said in disbelief. "The last time I checked, your legs didn't look like that."

"The last time I checked, you never cared at all," I said.

He let out a heavy sigh. "Who hurt you?"

"YOU... I LOOKED into his eyes. "You hurt me. What you did to me is way more painful than this," I said.

He reached out his hand, but I flinched away. "Don't touch me." I was afraid he might hurt me. "Please. Don't," I said, my voice trembling with tears. I was shaking.

He took a step back, surprised. "Did you really think I was going to hurt you?" he asked, concern in his voice. "Did Franco hurt you?"

"I can barely remember because I was so drunk last night."

He sighed. Soon after, I could hear the laughter of people entering the classroom, so Marcus decided to leave.

After our afternoon classes, my phone suddenly rang, and it was Franco calling. I felt anxious, concerned that Marcus might have mentioned the wounds on my legs. "I'm in the parking lot. Hurry up. We'll talk at home..." That was all he said before hanging up on me. I ran because I didn't want to make him wait. I was worried he might hurt me again. I spotted him in the parking lot, his face serious. He immediately started driving. He was going way too fast, which made me even more anxious.

WE ARRIVED AT my unit quickly, and he suddenly lashed out at me. "What did you tell Marcus?" he shouted. "What the hell did you say to him?!"

"N-Nothing, Franco. I told him I couldn't remember how I got the cuts on my thigh because I was drunk—" I felt my body collapse, and my vision began to fade.

I woke up feeling like my head was being split open. I couldn't move because my body ached so much. I flinched when the door suddenly opened. Franco walked in, carrying a tray of food. "I'm sorry. Kumain ka na," he said softly, setting the food on the bed.

I forced myself not to cry as Franco fed me. Less than an hour later, I started feeling dizzy. I woke up to find a doctor and a nurse checking on me. I was still in the same room. I wanted to talk to Franco and apologize, thinking this was all just a misunderstanding. But I couldn't do it because I fainted again.

"Jarzaiah, wake up. You need to eat..." Franco said in a gentle tone, stroking my cheek softly.

Tears streamed down my face when I saw him. I rushed to hug him. "I'm sorry, Franco. It was just a misunderstanding. I didn't say anything else. Please, Franco... believe me. Hindi ako gagawa ng rason para magalit ka sa 'kin," I pleaded.

He hugged me back and ran his fingers through my hair. "Okay. I'm sorry too."

I looked at him and smiled. "Are we good now?"

Franco smiled back at me. "Yes," he said, taking the food from the bedside table and feeding me. Then he lifted me up and carried me back to my—our—room. "I'm sorry. I always think that you still have feelings for Marcus," he said.

I kissed him on the lips. "Please... trust me."

"I will. I'm sorry," he said again.

A big smile spreadacross my face, and I fell into a peaceful sleep, happy that we had resolvedeverything.