22: His nightmare

I WOKE UP to a gentle shaking. I groaned as I felt the pain in my head. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Amelie's wounds. "What happened to you?" I asked her as I tried to get up. I winced when I couldn't stand because my whole body ached.

"We've been kidnapped..." she said, her voice shaking. Tears were also streaming down her face.

I scanned the entire room where we were. It was a small room. Amelie and I were just on the floor. I was about to speak when suddenly five men entered the room. Our bodies started to tremble. We were so scared...

"Why did you bring two?!" one of the men shouted.

He pointed at Amelie. "She was calling for help, so we included her."

The man they called boss approached Amelie and pulled her hair. She sobbed and screamed. I also started crying when the man began dragging me toward him. "What do you know about Hunter?" he asked.

My brows furrowed. "Who is Hunter?"

"My spy told me Hunter was seen kissing you in a club."

I thought for a moment. I only kissed one guy. "I don't know him."

"Bullshit!" Then he slapped me.

I felt like I was about to lose consciousness from what he did. I closed my eyes from the pain. He pulled me again and forced me to sit down. He kept asking me about Hunter, but I barely knew that guy.

Is he a politician?

He has enemies. I shouldn't have kissed him if this was going to happen. He had no intention of stopping what he was doing. He planned to hurt Amelie and me until we told him who Hunter was.

"MOMMY... PLEASE COME back!"

"Jarzaiah... Please wake up! I don't like you, but I don't want you to die... Please... You have a high fever!' that was Amelie's voice.

I slowly opened my eyes.

She smiled while tears streamed down her cheeks. She leaned her body toward me as if she was hugging me. "Shit! I was so scared. You were calling for your baby the whole time..." she said.

I also broke down in tears. Can you believe that just last night we were fighting, and now we're comforting each other? "I'm sorry, Amelie. I-I'm the reason you're here. I'm so sorry that because of me... you and Marcus had problems. I'm really sorry, Amelie..." I said while sobbing."

"It's okay. I can't imagine what would happen to you if you were here all alone," she said. Her eyes were getting even more swollen.

I didn't see any food, so Amelie and I felt weak. It seemed like they were planning to kill us. I took a deep breath and looked into her eyes. "Amelie, promise me... If I don't survive, be happy, okay? I-If I'm going to die, can you tell Marcus that I never stopped loving him?"

I felt Amelie's deep breaths. She sobbed, "N-No... Please... Don't say that... You're not going to die!"

"CAN YOU TAKE care of Vandre? Please? Tell him stories about me... that he used to call me maganda... Can you tell Vandre that I'm so lucky to be his mother?"

"P-Please... Marcus will be devastated. He'll be dead inside. I can't do it... I can't—"

We just stared at each other while crying. "W-Why? You love each other. He'll be okay, Amelie."

"I lied last night. He didn't come back because of Vandre, he came back because that was his plan. From the start, he loved you. We were classmates, and I watched him suffer every day because you left him. What would happen if you'd be gone? I can't replace you..." she sobbed.