14: On the run

REN SPED UP his car. While driving, he kept typing on his cellphone. I think he was talking to Imil's father. After less than thirty minutes, we stopped to switch cars. The drive took over an hour before we reached the airport. We immediately boarded the plane, and soon after, it took off. "Aren't your family going to be upset that you decided to come with me?" I asked.

"No. They'll understand. I might struggle a bit with Lilac, though. She's the one closest to me, and I'm pretty sure she'll be looking for me," he replied, a look of sadness crossing his face.

"You didn't have to choose me over them. I think I could manage on my own," I explained.

"You need support. I won't go anywhere unless you tell me to."

I nodded. "Alright. It's your choice. Thank you for helping me. Things are happening so fast, but I'm really happy right now."

He smiled. "You should sleep for now. I'll wake you up when we get there, alright? Just give me your phone. I'll buy you a new one when we arrive. We might still be tracked. Marcus has a tracking device, after all. But I know Uncle Maxwell is working his magic right now, so don't worry..."

For the first time, my night felt peaceful. There's such a sweet feeling in being free. I yawned, feeling drowsy from the cold and exhaustion.

I WOKE UP when I felt a gentle shake. The moment I opened my eyes, I was greeted by Ren's smile.

"We're here!" he said cheerfully.

I smiled as I got up and tidied myself. My back ached from the long flight, but it was okay. Once we got off, Ren drove us somewhere. My lips parted in awe when I saw a large house. The view was stunning—the greenery of the trees and the mountains in the distance! "It's beautiful!" I exclaimed, peering out the window with excitement.

"I'm glad you like this place. I planned this last week because I thought you needed a view like this to lift your spirits a bit," he said, giving my back a gentle pat.

"Thank you, Ren! I really appreciate it."

After that, Ren and I went to a clothing store to buy some clothes. While we were on our way home, I heard his phone ring. "Yes, Arch? You're already here?" he asked. "We're on our way back."

When we arrived home, I saw a man frowning while carrying several paper bags. "Ren, really? You just called me to buy you food!" the man complained.

Ren walked up to him with a grin. "Thanks, brother. Anyway... this is Jarzaiah," he said, pointing to me. Ren looked at me and continued, "He's Archer, my best friend. Intelligence officer."

"Nice to meet you!"

He smiled. "Likewise. Is Ren your boyfriend?"

I chuckled and quickly shook my head.

"She's my cousin's ex-girlfriend," Ren said. He took some of the paper bags from Archer's car and then we went inside.

"ARCH, ONCE I take the job that Uncle Maxwell is offering, you should retire and work with me," Ren said. I didn't really understand what they were discussing.

"When are you going to accept it? I'm tired of my job. They won't let me go into the field. I'm just stuck in front of a computer all the time," Archer said irritably.

"How did you two meet?" I asked, intrigued. I grabbed an apple from one of Archer's bags, washed it first, and then took a bite.

"We were roommates in high school," Ren explained. "He didn't go to college because he got so many job offers. He's been into coding since he was a kid, and he's a genius." I could sense Ren's pride in his friend. As he spoke, his eyes lit up with enthusiasm.