13: Knight sky

OVER A MONTH had passed. My wounds and bruises had healed. I heard some noise in the living room and quickly stood up, feeling relieved when I saw it was Marcus. "It's late. What are you doing here?" I asked him, surprised.

He stared at me, and I could see the sadness in his eyes. They looked so lifeless. We finally had some time to be together during this break, as we had been busy with exams. "Pack your bags. We're leaving early tomorrow."

"I don't want to," I replied.

"You need this vacation. We both do. Your friends will be coming along if you agree to go," he said. He headed to the walk-in closet and grabbed my suitcase, neatly putting my clothes inside. I sighed and lay down on my bed, not wanting to argue with him since I was feeling sleepy. I decided to let him handle it. Then I felt someone cover me with a blanket. I knew it was Marcus. His scent gave him away. After all, he was the only other person in the penthouse besides me.

THE NEXT DAY, he woke me up early because he had cooked breakfast for us. "We'll head to Imil's house after lunch, and we'll sleep there," he said. He continued eating his bacon and fried rice.

I sighed. "Do I even have a choice?"

"Are we really going to argue again?"

I simply looked at him without saying anything and kept eating while he washed the dishes. I returned to my room to get some more sleep. He woke me up again around noon. Same routine.

AFTER I TOOK a shower and got ready, we headed to Imil's place. It wasn't just a house. It was a freaking mansion. "Didn't Imil have this mansion built when he was only sixteen?" I asked Marcus as he parked the car.

"Yes. He fell in love with Amaris at first sight," he said seriously. He unbuckled his seatbelt, and opened the door for me.

Mabuti pa si Amaris at may Imil na nagmamahal sa kanya. Samantalang ako, nanlilimos lang ng pagmamahal.

"Are you okay?" Marcus asked, looking concerned.

"Yes."

He took our luggage, and I noticed Zius' car arriving. They got out immediately. Zius grabbed their things along with Elisha's, and they both smiled at me. I just nodded in response. It seemed like my relationship with my friends would never go back to how it used to be. Elisha was right. I had changed. So much had changed.

As soon as we walked inside, Imil and her cousins greeted us. They were so full of energy. I couldn't keep up with their enthusiasm, so I remained quiet.

"Are you hungry?" Marcus asked me.

I shook my head. "No."

"Are you thirsty?"

"No."

He let out a deep sigh.

"Oh? What the heck is your problem?" I whispered.

"You're so hard to please." He sounded frustrated.

My brows furrowed in confusion. "I'm not hungry or thirsty. What do you want me to do?!" I hissed.

Thankfully, the others were occupied with each other, so we weren't drawing any attention. Marcus remained silent.

THAT EVENING, I ate in silence. I finished my meal first and sat down in the living room. I felt someone sit next to me. It was Ren, Marcus' cousin who had just come back from abroad. "Are you okay?" he asked softly.

"I'm not..."

"You're not comfortable with us?"

I shook my head slowly. "Hindi namna kayo ang problema..." I took a deep breath. "I can't really explain it right now. I just feel empty and lost, you know?"