15: Cielo and the rain

FOUR MONTHS PASSED, and my belly was getting bigger. Archer and Ren were still taking care of me. At that moment, it was just Archer with me since Ren had rushed out earlier, looking distressed. We were quietly watching something when I heard a horn honk outside. I quickly stood up as the doorknob turned. Ren walked in, drenched. It was pouring heavily outside.

"What the hell happened to you?" I crossed my arms. Then I helped him take off his leather jacket while Archer carried Ren to his room. "What are you doing with your life?" I asked irritably. "Magkakasakit ka niyan!"

"Please don't be angry," he said softly.

I grimaced when I smelled the alcohol on his breath. Archer went down to the kitchen to heat up some water and grab a cloth to wipe Ren down. Ren often drank, so Archer and I were used to him being like this. Maybe he missed his family back home, or perhaps he was dealing with some problems.

"You're drunk? Why?" I asked him in surprise. He suddenly hugged me. Tsk! He could have waited to hug me until he got changed. "What? Aren't you going to respond? Binasa mo pa ako," I complained.

"Sorry..." he sighed. "Something came up. I need to go back to San Tiago to confront someone. I'm so mad right now," Ren said. I could see his jaw and fists clenched. I had never seen him like this before... so furious.

"When are you going back?" I asked him.

"Probably the day after tomorrow, and then I'll come back right away," he replied.

I nodded. "Take care. Whatever it is you're dealing with, I hope it gets resolved."

"That can't be fixed anymore," I felt the chill in his voice.

"Anyway, I'll help you get changed. Should I take off your jeans, or do you want to do it yourself?"

"Ikaw na. I don't have the energy. I'm completely drained," he said.

I simply nodded.

Archer arrived just in time. "Let me do it. You might tire yourself out."

I nodded and sat at the edge of Ren's bed, just watching him stare at the ceiling. "Archer... I'm going back to San Tiago. Can you watch over Jarzaiah?" Ren uttered.

"Sure thing," Archer replied while wiping Ren's face. After that, he dressed Ren. He even took Ren to the bathroom because he wanted to brush his teeth. I quickly put toothpaste on Ren's toothbrush while Archer, who looked bored, helped him.

"Open your mouth," I instructed. He obeyed, and I brushed his teeth. He was just looking at me. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Just because. Salamat sa inyong dalawa ni Archer," Ren said.

"This is nothing compared to how you both take care of me... Rinse your mouth. Archer looks like he's getting tired from carrying you."

I went to his bed first while Archer kept complaining to Ren about how slow he was moving. "Zaiah, if we're both still single after ten years, let's just be together," Ren said.

Archer shook his head and chuckled slightly. Ren and I laughed too. That's just how Ren was, and we had gotten used to it. He often said he felt he wouldn't find someone to marry because no one had come along, even if he wanted to. He was such a hopeless romantic. "Sure, that's fine," I played along with him.

We might not see each other romantically, but if it came down to it, I'd rather grow old with Ren and take care of each other. I want us to stay best friends even as we age.

REN ENDED UP going home to San Tiago. He stayed there for a few days before coming back. He never mentioned his problem, and I respect his privacy—it could be family or work-related.