The Fight Begins

"Was he married?" Steve asks us walking up a little closer to where Tony and I were stood.

"No. He wasn't." I reply.
"There was a uh...cellist, I think." Tony also adds.

"I'm sorry. He seemed like a good man." Steve spoke trying to make conversation and defuse the tension between the two making me smile softly.

"He was." I say just as Tony says, "He was an idiot."
"Why? For believing?" Steve asks.
"For taking on Loki alone." Tony said raising his voice a little.

I don't think he was angry at Steve. He was just the person he could let his anger out on. I think Steve knew that too. Tony wasn't good at hiding his emotions.

"He was doing his job." Steve said.

"He was out of his league. He should have waited. He should have..." Tony trailed off, not knowing what to say. I could see all his emotions running around through his eyes. I didn't want to pity him so I held a strong face but Steve and I both knew Tony was not taking this well and blaming himself for allowing Loki to get to him.

"Sometimes there isn't a way out, Tony." I say softly.
"Right. How did that work for him?" Tony spits making me drop my hand from his and when he realises how he sounded he sighs and walks away making me frown but Steve stands next to me to comfort me.

"Is this the first time you've lost a soldier?" Steve asks quietly.

"WE ARE NOT SOLDIERS! I am not marching to Fury's fife!" Tony suddenly rages making me back up into Steve as he turns back around sharply.

"Neither am I! He's got the same blood on his hands as Loki does. Right now we've got to put that aside and get this done. Now Loki needs a power source, if we can put together a list..." Steve replies also in a raised voice but his aim was trying to make Tony to calm down. That could be difficult though as Tony loved the sound of his own voice especially in an argument.

"He made it personal." Tony says looking at the blood stained wall where Phil was. I didn't look at the wall. As a doctor blood or anything gory never really bothered me. Until it was family or friends...then I couldn't handle it. It was weird. Like a light switch. I could turn my emotions on and off until someone I loved got hurt. Then the light switched stopped working.

"That's not the point." Steve told Tony.
"That is the point. That's Loki's point. He hit us all right where we live. Why?" Tony raged.

"To tear us apart." I spoke up once more. Tony stopped and looked towards me.

"He had to conquer his greed but he knows he has to take us out to win, right? That's what he wants. He wants to beat us and he wants to be seen doing it. He wants an audience." Tony tells us.

"Right, I caught his act at Stuttengard." Steve spoke.
"Yeah. That's just a preview, this is opening night. Loki's a full-tilt diva. He wants flowers, he wants parades, he wants a monument built in the skies with his name plastered..." I saw Tony visibly pause and I gave him a questioning look.

"Tony?" I ask.
"Son of a bitch!" He gasped.

"What? What's happening?" I ask grabbing his hand before he could walk past me.

"New York. He's going to target New York." Tony says.
"Why New York?" Steve questions.

"Stark Tower. If he wants an audience that's where he'll get it and he'll use my building as his power source."

It made sense. New York was the perfect terrain for Loki to target. It was where most of us lived including SHIELD and he would get an audience and power source.