15| Solace in Solitude

In those long hours by her bedside in the cramped up hospital room, Klaus had doubted all he ever knew

In those long hours by her bedside in the cramped up hospital room, Klaus had doubted all he ever knew. Katerina Petrova had been the root cause of his anger for over 500 years, yet why was it that he did not feel an ounce of happiness in his heart when she was so fragile and close to death? Instead, all that consumed his mind was worry, pity, and anger at not being able to help her. To be so out of control.

Klaus sighed and ran a hand through his hair as he listened to the medical machines beep in a rhythmic, mechanical chorus. He couldn't quite grasp why he cared so much if she lived or died, this was Katerina he was worrying about, one of his longest standing enemies. He tried to convince himself that his concern for Katerina's survival was purely pragmatic. He needed her blood for the creation of hybrids. It was an essential element of his plan, a piece in his puzzle of power over New Orleans. But deep down, he knew that was only the partial truth. He couldn't escape his subconscious telling him that he had let someone get through his defenses, someone who he supposedly hated nontheless.

Perhaps it wasn't hate that had driven him all these years, but rather, a sense of deserving. That Katerina deserved to be punished for what she had done, or else it would hurt his pride. However, he tried to put himself in her perspective. He had murdered her family. He imagined what he would feel if someone killed Rebekah, or Elijah. Would he not feel uncontrollable rage and hatred too? Did he not technically deserve to be punished too, for all his sins that seemed to be even greater than those of Katerina Petrova?

He had been lost in thought for what felt like an eternity when, suddenly, the silence was broken by a faint stirring from the hospital bed.

Katherine's eyelids fluttered, and then slowly, they opened. Her eyes, still groggy and disoriented, met Klaus's, who had been silently watching over her. There was a moment of confusion as her senses adjusted, and she recognized the surroundings.

Klaus, whose stoic demeanor had been unwavering, couldn't help the subtle relief that washed over him as Katherine regained consciousness. But he quickly masked it behind a mask of indifference, as if he hadn't been concerned at all.

"You're awake," he said bluntly.

Katherine's voice, weak and raspy, soon responded "What... happened?" she asked, having only faint memories of everything turning black.

Klaus leaned back slightly in his chair, crossing his arms with an air of nonchalance. "You had a heart attack," he replied, standing up to check if she still looked as pale as before. He could tell only by looking at her that she was running out of time. Half her hair had turned gray at this point, and she was starting to get wrinkles under her pretty brown eyes. However, what stood out to Klaus the most was the utter tiredness in her eyes, not caused by lack of sleep but rather the internal exhaustion that came with old age. It made him want to whip out his phone right then and there and hear with Bonnie how far she had gotten in the search for a cure, but he let it be until they got home.