10| A New Kind of Pain

Three Months Later

Three Months Later...

"It's been a long summer, Damon..." 

It had also been a terrible summer. After Rebekah force-fed Katherine the cure, she had lived a hard life as a miserable human. Now she just wanted food and a roof over her head. She had felt desperate when she called Damon, but she didn't know who else to contact. Besides, she had tried reaching out to Stefan, but he wouldn't answer his phone all summer. As much as it pained her to admit it, Damon was her only choice. 

"I need your help." 

Katherine stood at his door, holding a bag in front of her as she gave him a fake smile.

"Let's see... Last time you were here you snapped my neck, kidnapped Bonnie, and then stole the cure. Why would I help you?" 

"Are you serious?" she groaned. "I didn't have a choice Damon, Klaus made me do all of that. And about that cure, I didn't exactly choose to take it." Katherine crossed her arms.

"Yeah... why were you with Klaus anyway?"

She rolled her eyes. "Really? Your 150-year-old brain cells can't figure such a simple thing out? He kidnapped me and forced me on a road trip. Duh."

Damon raised his brow. "And now you want me to turn you... Well, go ahead. Drink," he said casually as he bit his wrist and offered it to her. "And when you're done I want you out of here."

Katherine grabbed a hold of his wrist at first, but after staring at the small prickles of blood for a few seconds, she hesitantly pulled away. "I... can't, okay? If you kill me, there's a good chance I'll never wake up again."

Damon pulled his arm away. "And that would be tragic," he said sarcastically. "Fine, but you're not staying here."

Katherine hated that she had to beg, but he left her no choice. "Damon, please. I have nowhere else to stay. I don't want to go back to the park bench. Just help me please."

Damon shook his head.

"Pleeease?"

He sighed, not really putting up much protest. "Alright fine, you can have the room next to Stefan's. As long as you don't bother me too much, I'll let you stay for some time."

She sent him a smirk. "I knew you still loved me," she teased, before bringing her only bag upstairs.

_____

Katherine opened the refrigerator and closed it. Then opened it again, and closed it. Every time hoping that it would suddenly be full of delicious food, but in reality, the fridge only stored some blood bags and two cold pizza slices. "Damooon. There's no food," she complained.

"I'm giving you shelter, but I'm not responsible for you. Get your own food," she heard him answer from the living room.

"But I don't have any money," she whined as she walked over to Damon who was sitting in the couch reading a book.