12| Vodka Tastes Better After a Victory

"The French Quarter

"The French Quarter... Why are we here?" Katherine asked as Klaus parked outside the familiar place. She had been there a few times during her lifetime.

"Don't worry, this won't take long. I have some business to attend to first, then we'll move on." Klaus brought his hand to his ear, clearly overhearing something Katherine couldn't. "Stay in the car."

She listened and stayed in the car until Klaus was out of sight before she opened the door and stalked after him, seeing him walk over to a crowd of people. Was it vampires?

She saw Rebekah and an unknown man wait for him with stern looks in the middle of the crowd. Katherine really wished she had vampire hearing now, since she couldn't hear what they were talking about. She could only guess that this confrontation wasn't exactly friendly.

Katherine turned around soon after when she heard soft Jazz music start playing behind her. An older man had settled down at the end of the road and put up a show for the passersby. She stood there for a while and just listened. The calming music soothed her previously agitated spirit and made her feel at ease. On second thought, Katherine didn't think living there would be too bad. The place was utterly beautiful.

Her calmness was quickly interrupted by loud banging, screaming, and growling, and her attention quickly turned back to the Quarter. She ran silently over to the building again and peeked her head out to carefully check what was going on. It was then she watched in terror as vampires upon vampires were attacking Klaus, dragging him across the ground and chaining him up. However, the biggest shock to Katherine was when she noticed that Rebekah was simply watching what was happening, not moving an inch to help her brother. If Katherine had learned one thing over the centuries, it was that Rebekah and Klaus Mikaelson always came to each other's rescue.

What didn't come as a shock to Katherine, however, was when Klaus suddenly snapped out of it and pulled himself out of the chains before attacking everyone in sight. His eyes flashed a scary yellow, and his fangs were shown on full display as he bit into a dozen of vampires. The unknown man that had held hands with Rebekah suddenly yelled something that made everyone freeze as he proceeded to pick up a small item on the ground. Katherine moved even closer to get a look at what it was, now hiding behind a large plant. It looked like he was holding a small coin.

"Well...well...well. The great Marcel, self-proclaimed king of New Orleans, bowing before me," Klaus smirked, walking closer to the kneeling man.

"There," the man spat and threw the coin at Klaus's feet. "I hereby pledge my allegiance to you. You have the keys to my kingdom. It's yours."

A familiar evil smile formed on Klaus' lips at his words. "Ah, how nice of you." He shifted his attention from Marcel to the direction of Katherine's hiding spot and raised his voice slightly. "Sweetheart, you can stop hiding now."

Katherine's heart made a jump. How did he know she was hiding there? Well, he was a hybrid, after all. He must have sensed her.

She carefully walked out of hiding and went to stand beside Klaus, surrounded by vampires that didn't look so friendly. Had she ever been in a scarier situation? She couldn't recall. "Um..."