03| Welcome Home

"Now, now, Katerina

"Now, now, Katerina. Not so fast," Klaus murmured, moving up behind her as he still ran high on the adrenaline that rushed through him after their intense fight. Katherine just stood frozen at the entrance, her back still against him as she also tried to calm her racing heartbeat. For a split second, she forgot about the pain from the wolf bite.

Klaus licked the blood off his fingertips before brushing Katherine's hair to the side, leaning in to softly speak into her ear. 

"I made a witch do a spell that keeps you trapped here at my demand. I could just compel you to stay, but... we both know how that ended up last time."

Katherine felt the hair on her neck rise as he spoke to her, and she knew that he was doing it on purpose. She swiftly turned around to face him, their noses only inches from each other as they both looked at each other with beating hearts. "It wasn't entirely my fault... You knew, didn't you?" She paused for a second. "You knew I was on vervain." She knew she was wandering on dangerous paths with assumptions against the hybrid, but she had to know the truth.

Eventually, after a short pause, Klaus responded with his regular smirk. "Maybe I did.... Maybe I didn't," he teased. "Does it make any difference?"

Katherine glanced at him, curiously. "Why?" she asked.

Klaus just sighed at her, brushing off her question as he took a step back. "Go and change love, you look awful."

Katherine rolled her eyes. "Please, tell me how you really feel," she replied sarcastically, before turning her heel and walking towards the closet once again. She grabbed some clothes and went to the bathroom to take a shower.

Twenty minutes later she felt satisfied enough, besides, the water was getting cold. She would have felt better if the godforsaken bite wound would just go away, though. She wrapped a towel around her tan body and admired herself in the mirror before doing her makeup with the products Klaus had gotten her.

After she was done, she left the bathroom and stumbled over to the couch where Klaus was sitting, more confident now that she looked like herself again, but still trembling from barely managing to hold herself up. As soon as Katherine stepped into the living room, Klaus put down his book and glanced over at her. 

"Katerina, I must say you look a marvelous amount better with the blood off your shirt and your makeup retouched," he said, casting a glance at her newly done curls.

"I'm your prisoner, Klaus. Not your eye candy."

Klaus chuckled at that. "Who says you can't be both?"

"I must say, you have spectacular taste in fashion," she joked.

"Well. Some run-of-the-mill rags wouldn't be befitting of you would they?"

She snorted and took a seat above him. "At least you're right about that."

Katherine frowned when Klaus went straight back to reading his book. She studied it to catch a glimpse of what this book was all about, but the cover was blank so she didn't have a clue. She sighed and dragged herself over to where he was sitting, leaning over his shoulder to see what he was reading.