22| Even The Devil Falls in Love

Klaus gently laid her down on his bed and caressed her pale cheek

Klaus gently laid her down on his bed and caressed her pale cheek. He was still in a state of shock. Everything had happened too quickly, and soon enough, he had left the warehouse as quickly as he had gotten there. He wasn't even sure if his siblings were still alive. All he knew was that she wasn't.

"Katerina... Open your eyes."

Katherine didn't answer, not that he expected her to. But he hoped, he hoped she would open her eyes, for him.

But she couldn't open her eyes. There was no breath escaping her lips, and her pulse had long stopped beating. He couldn't admit it to himself. She couldn't be dead. After everything, it couldn't end like this.

He grabbed her shoulders and roughly shook her body, hoping it would wake her. "Katerina, damnit. Wake up!" He bit his hand and pressed it to her mouth, desperately hoping her heart would start beating again if he forcefed her his blood.

He heard the door open downstairs and three sets of footsteps enter. He sped over to them but only stopped in front of Elijah.

"She's dead," Klaus said bluntly.

"I know."

Elijah put a comforting hand on Klaus's shoulder and sighed before slowly making his way to where Katherine laid. When he saw her lifeless body, he gently put his hand on her cheek and fought back the wave of emotions that flooded into him as he did. He flinched when he felt how cold her skin was compared to her usual, bright warmth. He blinked away the tear that threatened to dwell up in his eye.

"...I failed you," he managed to utter, before soon leaving the room.

_____

A couple hours later, Elijah opened the door to his brother's art studio, and as he expected, he saw multiple bodies lying in a trail across the room. Klaus's calm face and the shirt he was wearing were both covered in blood, but he didn't seem to care. He was painting quietly with blood from the neck of a woman half-laying on his lap.

Elijah sighed and shook his head. "What are you doing Niklaus?"

"I am painting with the blood of my enemies."

"And are these people your enemy?"

"Yes. Either they were working against me, or they are food, and worthless."

"You know this is not wise Niklaus. There are still people out there who want to harm you, and are planning so this very moment."

"Great, let them. I will kill them all."

Elijah sighed. "Mikael and Esther are gone for good, by the way. I just wanted to let you know."

Niklaus didn't even turn to look at his brother as he continued painting.

"I figured, or else Mikael would have come here already. And you would be dead."

Elijah tightened his jaw. "You know, it is not fatal to show emotions once in a while, Niklaus. When you admit to yourself that you cared about her, you'll feel much better."