14.

Clove POV

I woke up to Adam shaking me. "Wake up, darling. We have to go to a meeting."

I opened my eyes still groggy. "A meeting? What meeting?"

"They board are thinking about taking away our scholarships."

I sprung up. "What! But you on the Varsity, they can't do that to you."

"Since I got the same scholarship they did so they can do it to me," I jumped on top of him. "No, you are mine and you are not leaving."

He laughed. "I don't think it's in our control, darling."

"Ok, let's get ready then," I got up off of I'm and went to pick out a nice dress. He had a suit in my dorm since he had the funeral the other day and never took it out of my dorm. We both got ready and headed down to the conference room. I stood with the Varsity next to Rick and Cole while Adam went and stood with the JV.

Rick bent down to my ear. "It'll be alright Clove. When they take the scholarships away. I'll tell my dad to give Adam his scholarship back and, it'll be like nothing ever changed, Ok?"

I turned around and hugged him. "Ok. Thank you, Rick."

He ruffled my hair, "You're welcome, kid."

I flattened my hair back down and glared at him. He just laughed at me.

Buckley clears his throat and then starts to talk. "Do I have a motion for reconsideration?" All the board members start to murmur quietly. All of the ducks put their heads down or shake them. I just look at Adam and smile. He looks confused at first but then smiles back.

"I'm sorry, Coach, but unless there is a... motion from a board member and a second, the decision must stand."

Rick looked at Scooter and mumbled. "Told you not to worry," Scooter quietly laughs, and Rick and Cole smile.

"You leave us no choice but to bring in our attorney." Coach Orion said. I looked at Rick with a confused face and whispered to him. "Attorney. This isn't court."'

The door opens and a man comes in. Charlie is now smiling like he just won the lottery. "Dean Buckley, members of the board." He says. "As counsel for Coach Orion... and the freshman hockey team, I'm here today to set forth your legal options, so that you make the best possible decision for all the parties concerned."

"Mr. Bombay, this isn't a legal proceeding," Buckley said.

"Not yet, but I can assure you that it will be. Do you mind?" He says as he hands Buckley his briefcase. These scholarships... an offer... became a binding contract upon the signatures of the recipients... and acceptance by the Ducks. They cannot be voided except for cause which, I guarantee you, you have none. Should you decide to pursue their cancellation." All the varsity players now have annoyed expressions on their faces. "I will slap you with an injunction. I will tie this matter up in court for years, until long after these kids have gone on to college. And I will collect damages. I will win. Because I am very, very good. Do you know why I'm so good? Because I had a good education. You gave it to me. And you're gonna give it to these kids. Now some of you may be snobbish enough to believe that these Ducks don't belong at Eden Hall. Let me tell you, you are dead wrong. These are remarkable young people. You give them their full shot, and I promise you they will succeed, not only on the ice but in the classroom as well. These people are my friends, and I know what they can do. Accordingly, I demand that you reinstate their scholarships, for their benefit... and for your own." He finished.

"What's going on man," Cole whispers.

One of the lady board members sighs. "I move that the scholarships... be reinstated."

"Is there a second?" Dean asks. One of the other members puts their arms up. "All in favor?" All of the other members put their arms up. "Scholarships reinstated." Everybody starts cheering and all the varsity have frowned on their faces and some start groaning. We all walk out of the room and wait for the JV team to come out.

"Congratulations... on destroying our school," Rick says.

They start disagreeing and Rick cuts them off.

"No, it'll never be your school. Don't you get it? You're our own little affirmative action, brought in for color to entertain us. But you couldn't even do that. Your fancy lawyer kept you in on a technicality, but you'll never belong."Rick finishes.

"You'll never be anything more than a bunch of rejects here on a free ride," Cole said.

"Freeride? Look at you, rick boy!" Russ said. "Mummy and daddy gave you everything, huh?"

"Hey, J.V.-Varsity game's on Friday. Then we'll show the whole school what a joke you really are. Then maybe you'll leave on your own," Rick reaches to Charlie's tie and Charlie hits his hand out of the way. "It'd be... the only honorable thing to do."

"You know we're gonna hurt you," Cole said looking at each and every one of them.

"Charlie scoffs. "Listen, you guys had an unfair advantage last time. You had two of us: Banksie and Clove."

"Oh, well keep him. We still have Clove. He never had the heart of a warrior anyway." Rick said.

I pulled on Rick's sleeve and looked at him with sad eyes. He looks down at me with guilt written all over his face. I looked at Adam. "Please Adam, just come back and play for us. Please?" I begged.

Adam looked down then looked back up. Everyone was now looking at Adam wondering what his answer will be. He looks at me with sadness in his eyes. "I'm sorry Clove."

"Ok."

Mindy comes around and hugs me. "Come on let's go," I took her hand and we both walked away. She walked me back to my dorm and then left to go see Rick. I sat on my bed reading a book when I heard a knock on the door. I got up and opened the door to see Adam.

"What do you want?" I said.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't choose Varsity. It's just that I've known them since I was in the pee wee's and I couldn't betray them," He looked like a kicked puppy. I softly smiled at him and hugged him. He dug his head into my neck. He kept saying sorry into my neck, which tickled and caused me to laugh.

"C'mon I'm tired," I said pulling him into my room. We laid down with my head duck into the crook of his neck. I sighed in delight as he started to play with my hair. "I love you, Adam Banks."

Right before I fell asleep. "I love you too,  Clove Banks." I chuckled and finally let the darkness take over.