Meeting with the professor

As Hridoy introduces Prava to her cousins, she looks around the room. It is only 6:30 pm, and it surprises her to see how dark the room is. It is filthy too.

The children are so small (they were 3, 5 and 7 years old), that Prava finds nothing to talk with them. Saying an awkward "hi!", she lays down in the bed. The little boys don't approve of this at all. They keep shouting and chatting with Prava until their mother pulled them away.

Prava laughs at her. They are already on friendly terms, and it turned out that Prava is only ten years younger than her.
Sree says, "Come, eat now. Why are you laughing? They are little monsters!"
"Haha!" Prava laughs and sits down to eat.

The menu is roti and tarka. "Yum!"--- cries Prava. Mama cracks a joke that he heard from the local tea shop and makes the whole situation jollier.

After they complete eating, Sree reminds Prava, "Remember that tomorrow you will meet the professor. And to impress him, you have to be very punctual. So go to sleep now, like an angel!"

***

Prava wakes up early in the morning and hears Hridoy's voice.
"I am going to do my work, Prava. Wake up, you will go with me too!"
Prava cried out, "I am awake! Coming in a second!"

Saying this, she scrambles down the only bed they have and starts looking for his cute slippers. Then she remembers, she is not in her home anymore. She is going to face some problem adjusting here, she can foretell that.

"Wait, mama!"

She takes out her backpack and unpacks it. As she piles everything on the bed, the children look at those carefully. Let's see!

There are some dresses, some empty tiffin boxes, some important study books, a notebook and pen, and some of her most favourite books, without which she can't live.

Taking a yellow shalwar kameez set in her hand, she enters the bathroom. "Ew, it is so slippery!"
Carefully she changes into the other dress and comes out tying her hair in a bun.

"let's go." She, with her uncle, walks down the street and reaches the main road. From there, they take a bus which directly takes them to Jadavpur.

"Well, here we are! Go inside Prava and say why you are here."
Prava doesn't even know where to enter. She strolled towards a gate, and passing the guard, enters the campus. She thought the guard will say something, but she is proved wrong. So, she took a step towards the guard and said, "can you tell where is Uday Sir's office?"
"There it is." He pointed towards a room in the very front of her.

She waved towards uncle, saying, "I am coming out soon! Wait there!"

She moves slowly towards the room. It has a glass-door, and she can see a young girl inside it. "She is not the professor, surely? Then who is she?"
Just then, the girl looks at her, saying, "Who are you? You can't enter here without permission!"
Prava tries to make her understand why she is here, but no good. The cries reach to the professor's ears too. He comes out of his room. "Why so much disturbance, Rina? Who is she?"

As Prava explained to him who is she and why she has come to him, the professor has calmed down. Prava hands him the letter from her headmistress, and carefully notices his expressions while reading it.

After some time, suddenly, the professor lets out a huge sob, and says, "Welcome to the college. You are my lost best friend's student."

Prava lets out a huge gasp.

Keep reading! And don't forget to vote and comment if you liked this part!