A tear in her eyes...

Prava and her mama (uncle) Hridoy is now going towards her new home. As you saw just now, Hridoy is very much excited about her niece's coming. He keeps on talking with Prava and asks about his cousin (Prava's mother). Prava also keeps answering and asking about her Mami (uncle's wife) and their children.

Hridoy's house is near the Gariahat market. Hridoy's father used to work in a shop beforehand, and that's why they rented a little house here. All this happened many years ago. Now his father is dead, and so is the kind landlord. His only daughter is the present landlord, and she takes a large amount of money from them now.

After listening to the story of their increasing poverty, Prava is now not so sure about a hearty welcome from Mami too. But proving her wrong, Mama cries out, "Sree was so happy when she heard your plan. She is always saying to our children to be like you. She thinks coming to Kolkata is the best for you."

Prava heaves a sigh of relief. She starts to notice the roads leading to her future home. 

"I have to spend some years here", Prava thinks, "And I have to remember the names of the roads of Kolkata."

"Mama, what is the name of this road?" she asks while passing through a narrow road.

"This road is called Dover Lane. And the most amazing thing is, our home is also on this road. It is a beautiful specimen of the city, containing all the delightful things of it. Like the smell of chicken curry, and the smell of alu posto (poppy seeds with potato), and the smell of achar (pickles), etc. etc.

Prava is listening silently and wondering, does Kolkata fascinate her uncle with foods only? Isn't it something more?

Just then someone laughed out from behind, "Your uncle doesn't know anything in the world but food. How funny!" Prava turned around and saw her mami laugh helplessly. "Oh! The look in your face, Prava, when he was telling about 'the specimen of the city'!!"

Prava smiles too. She can remember her.

She always finds fun in everything. One can't remain solemn when she is around. Prava looks towards uncle too. He is frowning, but good-naturedly. Prava is happy.

Walking between uncle and aunt, she comes near a green coloured wooden door. The colour has become shabby, and the door is not very strong. Sree takes out a key, with a Chhota Bheem key ring. With a tingly noise, she opens the door to enter the room.

A cool small and bare room, with a single bed in the middle and a table on one side.

"We bought this table for you!" Hridoy and Sree cry out in unison.

Prava finds a tear in her eyes.

Keep reading, and don't forget to vote and comment if you like this part!