Exploring the city

She's excited to go out with Uncle Hridoy now that she's back from college. However, her aunt and cousins are equally excited to hear about her first day of college. The kids have never been to college and aunt went to a smaller college, not as big as this one. Therefore, they are unwilling to let Prava go. Prava, however, can't wait to see the city and her uncle is also pulling her to come fast, otherwise, it will be too late when they return.

"Prava, why don't you wait a moment?" Aunt says. "You must finish telling the zamindar's story!"

Hridoy yanks Prava from the room.

After stumbling in the road from the sudden drag, Prava asks mama, "Why did you drag me? It's not too late! Mami will feel bad!"

"Prava, you do not know what a danger it is to be outside after nine o'clock. After nine o'clock, it gets quite dark and robbery is very common in this area."

Oh my gosh. Where has Prava come for education? Is it a city with educated citizens?  Robberies have almost disappeared from her village!

"Mama, this is such a horrible problem here! Can't the police do something to prevent these crimes? At least they can put lampposts in the street to light it up, right?"

Mama smiles sarcastically. "They! They will do nothing. They...No, don't listen to my foolish talks, let's go."

"Umm, okay, let's go."

"So today, first we will go to Golpark."

Golpark is a place near Jadavpur, where there is a large library and several other posh things. But it is most famous for Kasha Mangso or chicken curry. It also has footpath delicacies and wonders like Fuchka (gulgappa or panipuri), alukabli, etc. And not to forget the second-hand book shops! Oh my, what a collection they have! And there's some uniqueness too. For example, you bought a wimpy kid book for Rs. 200. If you keep it forever, it's okay. But you can also return it within one month after you finish reading. The shopkeeper will then return you Rs 100. Isn't it interesting?

After Prava is done with exploring these book shops, and not buying a single one, Mama said to her, "We will now go to Victoria Memorial. You will surely be interested in the history of this monument."

"Oh, that's good news! Let's go!"

History time!!

The Victoria Memorial Museum was built between 1906 and 1921 in Kolkata, India, as a memorial to Queen Victoria. On 4 January 1906, the Prince of Wales laid the foundation stone for the Victoria Memorial. Funding for the Victoria Memorial came entirely from the British government and Indian individuals. The construction of the Victoria Memorial in Kolkata began in 1906 but was delayed by Curzon's departure and a loss of local enthusiasm. William Emerson designed the Victoria Memorial, which stands to a height of 184 feet, combining British and Mughal elements in the Indo-Saracenic revivalist style. Victoria Memorial has 25 galleries, including an exhibition of rare books and artworks, as well as a collection of books about kathak dance and thumri music. The Victoria Memorial's Victoria Gallery displays the childhood pianoforte and correspondence desk of Empress Victoria, the state entry of Edward VII in Jaipur, and the First Jubilee service of Queen Victoria at Westminster Abbey. In the late 1980s, the West Bengal Governor and the board of trustees of Victoria Memorial opened a new gallery featuring a visual display of the history of Kolkata. Twenty-one gardeners maintain the 64-acre (260,000 m2) Victoria memorial garden. On Esch's bridge, there is a bronze statue of Victoria, and also a bronze statue of Lord William Bentinck, the governor-general of India.

****************

What the history books don't mention is that it is the ideal place for young couples to fall in love, and then cherish their love.  There are also artists. Many artists are attracted to the glamorous construction of the monument and spend hours before it. Prava discovered these things as she walked through the garden, keeping her hand on the bushes that lined her path. She is mesmerized and going on her own way as per her will. As a result, she is looking for her uncle. "What! Am I lost again?"
 No, she isn't lost this time. Thank god! Hridoy comes near her, and said, "Have you seen Victoria Memorial carefully? You will need its history for your lifetime, as that's what everyone will ask."