Romance in Italy - 9

Nine.

I groaned and flailed my arms, trying to take out whoever was intruding on my sleep. To no prevail, the person kept poking my cheeks, prodding and pinching my forearm. "Stop it!" I yelled, my eyes still closed. No answer but the incessant prodding still continued. Finally, I pushed off the quilt and kicked my feet.

A girlish squeal and a thud. I jolted away, stared down groggily. Seeing Ashton on the floor, curled up in a fetish position, holding his stomach and closing his eyes, a weak moan emitting from his mouth was honestly the highlight of my day. I jumped down, suddenly awake and energized, grinning from ear to ear as I step over his shaking body, "You okay?"

He breathed out raggedly, pushing up on his elbows and glared at me, "Go get ready. It starts in an hour and we all know that girls take forever to shower, get dress, blah, blah, blah."

I held up my balled fist. "You really want another punch to the gut?"

He shooed me to the bathroom and on the way, I nudged his stomach with my foot and he groaned, glowering at me.

I picked up a towel on the way to the bathroom, grabbed an outfit, and stalked to the shower. As I closed the door, his words traveled to me: "Hurry up! We don't want to be late this time! I swear to God, if you're late, I will come in and drag you out, even if you're in the damn shower!"

"You just said damn. I'm pretty sure the student body would love to hear that!" I sang, easing the door shut with my foot.

"Don't you dare." He shrieked, pounding repeatedly on the door. "I have an image to protect you know!"

I saw this as a perfect opportunity to cause him harm so I yanked open the door really fast. Just as I suspected, his entire weight was thrown against the door. When I opened the door rather abruptly, he was caught by surprise and fell forward, face planted on the floor, sprawled on all fours. I erupted in laughter, holding onto my sides. My jaw hurts and I was gasping. "Dude, you made my day." I felt for my phone and pulled it out, selecting the camcorder option and filmed him, laying there, voice muffled by the tiles.

He groaned, getting up, rubbing his nose. Once he saw the phone, however, his face contorted with disbelief. "Are you recording this?"

I pressed stop on the screen and it automatically saved. "I was."

He stood, wiping his palms on his jeans, smirking devilishly. "Payback time." Then he stalked forward, step by deliberate step, as if each footfall is planned.

"Wha...?" I took a step back. Then another. Then another. "What are you doing?"

His arms moved behind him and I crained my neck, trying to see what he was doing. He kept walking forward, treading over the white linen blanket. My back hit the wall and I cursed. Trapped. What the hell is he thinking he doing? One of his arm shot out, blocking one of my exits. I moved for the other opening but he stepped closer, our bodies pressed together.

"Stop it." I said but it sounded a bit breathless.

"Delete the video." He demanded.

"No!" I responded diligently.

"Delete the video." He whispered, his mouth close to my ears. His breath carressed my neck and it send shivers down my spine.

"No." My knees shook and I managed a weak push.

His head lowered and I leaned my head back, trying to avoid his penetrating gaze. His head lower still and I stopped struggling. "Delete the video." He repeated.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

His mouth brushed against my cheeks and I gulped, swallowing hardly. He moved upward, to my nose, lingered slightly and then moved downward. I leaned towards him, whimpering slightly, desiringly. His lips finally touched mine. It was soft and sweet. And as the seconds ticked by, I found myself entranced, wanting more. A shutter sounded and a white flash. I opened one eyes, and looked up.

A camera. His phone has a damn camera. And he took a picture of us. Kissing! I pushed him away and he pulled back, chuckling evilly.

"What the hell?" I sputtered, punching his arm but pulled back because my knuckles throb when I connected with solid flesh.

"Payback." He said smugly. "If you don't delete that video, this picture gets send to the the entire student body."

"You'll get in trouble too." I pointed out.

"I'll tell them you kissed me. Who are they going to believe?" He smirked. He snapped the phone closed, put it back in his pocket and walked out, calling over his shoulder, "Delete that video and get ready. The seminar starts in forty-five minutes!"

I started after him, shocked and angry. I gripped my phone in my pocket tightly and picked up the towel, placing it on the edge of the counter. "Fucking jerk!"

...

I walked ahead of him, arms crossed, face set in anger. Strolling through the streets of Italy, it seemed like a foul that I'm in such a horrible mood when everything's so beautiful and clear. He jogged behind me, a good ten feet away. I was walking at a speedy pace and ever since the hotel, I've been pretty much avoiding him. It's a stupid argument. I'm blackmailing him and he's blackmailing me because I'm blackmailing him...it's confusing but it makes sense.

A loud cheer rose from the gathering crowd and I stopped, tiptoing on my toes, craining my neck, trying to see through the heads pressed together. Ashton, having caught up to me, stopped and glanced at me. "Why'd you stop?"

I pointed up with an awed expression. He tilted his head and said flatly, "Wow. A wedding. That's nice. Alright," He clapped. "let's go." He tugged on my sleeves and I pulled my hand back.

"I wanna watch."

Ashton sighed dramatically and crossed his arms. "Oh, God. It's just a wedding. It's not a big deal."

I glared at him. "I've never seen a wedding."

He raised a brow. "Really." He deadpanned.

"Really." I confirmed. "So let me be!"

"Ten minutes." He told me.

"Whatever." I continued to watch as the bride, in a striking white dress, walked out onto the balcony, joining her groom. The minister joined them a few seconds later with a black leather bible in his hands. I couldn't hear what they were saying but I can kinda read lips and from the way they're moving, I can assume he's reading the speech and then the vows. The location dawned on me and I realized where I'd seen it. This was Juliet's balcony. From the famous balcony scene between Romeo and Juliet. In the famous play. And here theses people are, getting married on it. The walls were cracked and yellowed. Green vines embraced the bottom and sides of the balcony. Flowers bloomed along the vines and that gave the setting a burst of vibrant colors. "I remember this place."

"You've been here before?" He asked quizzically, watching the marriage with mild interest.

"No, from the brochure." I turned to him. "They're getting married on Juliet's balcony."

He nodded, impressed. "I know."

Suddenly the couple kissed and the crowd clapped loudly, whooping and shouting.

"There, you got your first wedding experience. Let's go." He started walking and I trailed behind, eyes still glued on the bride and groom.

"Beautiful." I commented.

"Mhm." He replied, uninterested.

"I want to get marry on that balcony." I said to myself wistfully.

"What?" Mr. Blake suddenly whipped around, staring at me intently.

"Hm? Oh, it's nothing."

"No, what did you say?"

"I said I want to get marry on that balcony." I smiled. "Stupid, right?"

He didn't answer but while he walked, he seemed distracted. I lingered behind for a few seconds before jogging behind him, easily keeping pace. We kept walking until we rounded a corner and the celebratory event disappeared from sight.