Romance in Italy - 14

Sorry for not uploading sooner on this story! But it's long, like really long and there's a special surprise at the end! :) You guys will love this. It's just the start of the action - and the romance ;)

Please V&C; I don't have really have any news to clue you guys in on except that it's almost the last day of school - four more days and I'm incredibly excited yet sad. Summer's almost here and I promised more chapters will be on the way - soon. 

~xolilyxo

P.S.: HUGE CLIFFHANGER! :D

___________

Fourteen.

“Stop!” The director yelled, charging onto the stage, face confused and exasperated. Ashton stepped away from me, eyes questioning. I refused to meet his gaze and settled on staring at a vacant spot on the stage. “What's wrong? Why didn't you do the kiss?”

I gulped and rubbed my hands over my arms. I forced myself to look up and meet the director's stare. “I-I'm sorry.”

We were currently rehearsing the scene where Paris and Friar Lawrence were discussing the wedding and then Juliet enters. After a quick and heated exchange between Paris and Juliet, he was supposed to kiss her and leaves. And that's where I screwed up. The play didn't specified where the kiss was placed and so the decision was up to the director's. Naturally, he chose the kiss to be on the lips. So, as Ashton leaned in, I stayed still; he was so close. As he neared, I parted my lips and stared ahead, eyes wide opened. To be honest, I didn't know what happened, but when I looked out at the audience, at Judith and Eddie and Max, something within me responded and I sidestepped and Ashton was left where he was, lips puckered.

The director sighed and glanced down at his watch, eyes softening. “It's fine.” He turned to the rest of the casts. “It's lunch time! Be back in an hour and we'll go over this scene again.”

Everyone dispersed and headed out the door. Eddie and Max stood off to the side, waiting for me. “Grace, come here.” The director called and led me off to the side, away from Ashton's and Jame's, a guy who was playing Friar Lawrence, clueless gazes. “Is something wrong? Why did you..?”

“I don't know.” I responded. “I'm sorry. I'll get it right next time. Maybe I'm just hungry.”

“You have to nail this, okay? Eat something and we'll see how it goes. People are waiting to see our production and it has to be perfect. So, no more screw ups, okay?”

“O-okay.” I tried for a confident smile but I was pretty sure it came out as a grimace. I waved and hurried to the dressing room, grabbed my jeans and shirt and shoes before ducking into the restroom to change. Once inside, I locked the door with numbed fingers and leaned against the door of the stall. I breathed out shakily and unbuttoned the gown, letting it slide down my body.

What was wrong with me? I'd kissed Eddie yesterday with no problem; he was playing Romeo and yesterday we were rehearsing the balcony scene. Actually, it wasn't this tense yesterday. More than once, the director had to stop us because we were giggling and laughing too much but eventually, we did the scene twice and it came out meticulously. Why was I having problem with Ashton?

I shook my head, baffled and put on my jeans, a gray Hollister t-shirt and my Converse. I gathered the puffy gown in both my hands, shouldered my messenger bag and unlocked the door to the stall. I passed the costume designer on the way out and handed her the dress. She took it and smiled sympathetically.

“Do you guys have something going on? Is that why you didn't kiss him?” She asked, brows raised.

“No, it's just...I don't know.” I admitted, biting my lips.