Romance in Italy - 4

Four.

"Gracie! Come on! Wake up!" Someone was shaking me, trying to wake me up.

I turned and shook my shoulder, trying to get their hand off hand. "No." I moaned. "I'm tired."

"What did you do last night? Your parents told me you slept really early!" Dani inquired, confused. She yanked the fleece blankets off my body and I squirmed, the cold arm hitting me bare arms and legs.

Is that what they think? I laughed internally. I had closed my eyes the second the door burst open and my parents peered in. I tucked my phone beneath my pillow, hoping Ashton won't choose this moment to reply. Satisfied, my parents closed the door and I breathed out, still not wanting to take to them.

After that little scene downstairs, I didn't want to speak to my parents. Sure, I had forgiven Mr. Blake because well, he apologized. I hadn't heard my mom or dad utter the word, "I'm sorry" yet. They probably find the whole predicament hilarious and...in the century or something. God, that was so embarrassing! I can't show my face around Mr. Blake. Yeah, I talk to him through texts. But communicating through a device was way easier than talking face-to-face.

So, they all thought I was asleep while instead, I was texting Ashton until two in the morning. "Uh, I couldn't sleep." I lied, though it was partially true. I couldn't sleep...because I was talking to my Chemistry teacher. How pathetic does that sound?

"Oh. Well, whatever." She jumped up on my bed, and bounced up and down. "Come on!"

I jumped off the bed, annoyed. "What is wrong with you? Can't you let a girl sleep in?"

"Nope." She grabbed me and shooed me across the hall, into the bathroom, and slammed the door. "Because," She said through the door while I brushed my teeth and washed my face. "we have to get to school early."

"Why?" I said, mouthful of foam.

"To tell Mr. Blake if you can go or not."

"I don't even know." I rolled my eyes and rinsed my mouth of the minty toothpaste.

"That's why I woke you up early. Your parents' telling you if you can go or not."

I yanked the doors open. "Well, good."

"Good? Good? Is that all you have to say?" Dani pulled me back into my room, rummaged through my closet, throwing multiple outfits on my bed.

"Well, I really don't want to see them." I pointed at the outfit she was holding up, "That one."

She handed it to me and shrugged. "Oh, don't be like that. I didn't think it matters that much. It was kinda cute. I mean, you were adorable when you were a baby. Flaunt it."

"Are you kidding?" I demanded, slipping on the beaded, low-cut top. "They had no right to show my baby pictures to anyone! Especially not Ash - Mr. Blake."

"He feels bad though. You should've seen his face when you ran upstairs. It seemed like he really wanted to be there for you. Maybe I should cry at school more often."

"Ha ha. Hilarious." I responded dryly. I yanked a pair of faded, skinny jeans and button the snap. Then, I slipped the high-heel boots on and put on my dangling earrings.

"Come." She grabbed my hand and pulled me down the stairs.

I hesitated at the last step and contemplated driving straight to school and miss breakfast. Before I could actually make up my mind, Dani dragged me toward the kitchen table, and plopped me down next to Matt.