Romance in Italy - 19: Part One

Chapter Nineteen: Part One.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The air was dry and warm as I hurriedly walked down the cobblestone path. Ivy vines snaked up the building's exterior, wrapping themselves around the balconies jutting outward from the side of the buildings. 

A mass was gathered up ahead and I squinted against the blinding sunlight to discern what was happening. My surroundings was extremely familiar and with a start, I realized the cobblestone path was leading down towards Juliet's Balcony. Pieces clicked together in my head and I came to a conclusion: a wedding was taking place on the balcony. 

My heart thundered in my chest and I frowned as my palms moistened and my head swam. I felt disconnected from the rest of my body, having no control over what I did. I didn't know why the realization of a wedding illicit such a reaction from me but I knew I had to get closer; I needed to see who was getting married. The task was so crucial that the thought of failing twisted my stomach in knots. 

I broke into a sprint, my hair flapping against my face and a wisp of some sort of fabric rustled against my ankles. Bemused, I spared a moment to advert my eyes downward and sucked in a shocked breath. 

Adorned in a simple white toga, I vaguely resembled something out of my mythology book: regal and powerful. Intricate armlets were clasped around both my upperarms and a pair of ancient Greek sandals cushioned the bottom of my feet. The gold strings wound up my ankles before tying itself into a simple knot. 

Why was I dressed this way? 

The sounds of the balcony doors opening stole my attention and I picked up my pace. I skidded to a stop behind the assembled mass and followed their actions by tilting my head upward, disregarding the discomfort the sun put me in. I waited impatiently for the bride and groom to make their entrance. I swallowed past the lump in my throat and blinked rapidly, feeling tears oddly welling behind my eyelids.

"Do you know who's getting married today?" I asked the elderly woman next to me. Even my voice sounded different; distorted and warbled somehow. 

The woman turned and nodded, an adoring glint in her eyes. "Yes. Mr. Yuma's daughter is tying the knot! So exciting!" 

I gasped inaudibly. Yuma...where had I heard that name before? A name flitted through my head, too fast for me to fully comprehend and interpret it. But I already knew. And if my suspicions were correct then I could easily guess who the groom will be too. 

"Here they come!" The woman informed me, pointing her finger skyward. 

A woman dressed in white from head to toe waltzed leisurely until she stood in front of the balcony. She waved to the gathering crowd and through her lacy veil, I saw her smile. Her arm was looped through her groom's and I reluctantly raised my eyes to glance at him. 

"Oh, no." I moaned softly. 

As I expected, it was Judith and Ashton. He was dressed in a classic black tuxedo with a white dress shirt and a simple knotted tie. They smiled and waved to the crowd, looking as regal and royal as William and Kate. 

I watched, dumbfounded, as they turned to face each other while a priest sidled to the side, visible through the spires on the balcony. "No." I whispered, face pale and clammy. The priest's mouth moved as he voiced the vows but his words did not travel to me. 

My feet were glued to the cobblestone, unable to move. I willed as hard as I could for my legs to work but unfortunately, there are powers beyond my comprehension. I couldn't move. Couldn't speak. All I could do was watch.