Romance in Italy - 18

Eighteen.

I spotted Judith standing in the middle of the quaint little cafe and started towards her. Eddie and Max trailed behind, looking fierce and determined. I stopped and they halted behind me. Max muttered something about getting a cup of frappe and leaving us alone. Eddie followed Max to an empty booth in the crevice of the cafe.

I swept my tongue over my bottom lip and gathered up my strength. I exhaled and crossed over to her. Judith's face lit up with surprise as I stopped in front of her. I forced a smile and felt a bead of sweat rolled down the side of my face. "Hey." I greeted softly.

"Er, hi." Judith nodded to the empty table beside us and we sat opposite from each other. I eyed her warily as I picked at the white, lacy tablecloth. "Is something wrong? Ashton's not here."

I frowned, suddenly confused. "He told me he'd be with you today." I replied conversationally.

"He had something to do. I'm not sure where he is." Judith responded.

A waiter stopped in front of our table, an order pad in hand. I belted out the first thing that came to mind. Judith ordered a mocha with whip cream. The man turned on his heels and walked back to the counter, slapping the order down.

"You're here alone?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

I saw her shift uncomfortably in her seat and my interest spiked. She swallowed visibly and uttered lowly, "I'm waiting for someone."

My eyes turned shrewd. "Who?"

"A friend." She responded vaguely.

The waiter brought back our orders and placed it in front of us. I took a small sip of my strawberry banana smoothie and set it down. I couldn't figure out how to start the conversation. The air around us was tense and our exchange was strained.

I want this over with. I thought firmly.

"I want to, uh, talk to you about something." I began, fidgeting in my seat.

Judith frowned but waved her hand in consent. "Go ahead."

"I know about you and that man." I breathed out, watching her reaction closely. Just as I expected, her eyes widened slightly, a dead giveaway. I was also pretty sure I'd heard her heart rate quicken. The two reactions practically screamed guilty! Judith quickly composed her expression and her face emptied of emotions.

"I don't know what you're talking about. What man?" She replied unevenly. The vein in the side of her neck was visible and it was throbbing erratically.

I scoffed and crossed my arms over my chest. "Don't lie." I snapped. Judith traced the top of her cup with her index finger while she kept her eyes downcast. "You're married to him."

Judith's head snapped up, her eyes narrowing. "I'm not lying, Grace. I'm not married. I'm dating your friend. Ashton, remember?" She replied hastily.

I smirked and leaned back against my chair. "So the name Samuel Alda doesn't ring a bell?"

Judith whimpered and shook her head vigorously. "I-I don't know anyone with that name." She retorted, slamming her cup down and standing up.

"Sit down." I ordered darkly. Judith hesitated but seeing the look of anger on my face, she sat down quickly. Judith glanced at me expectantly, nervously. "You have to tell him. It's not fair to Ashton or Samuel."

"Grace, you don't understand. Ashton makes me feel like a woman, he makes me feel alive." My face darkened and she continued, oblivious to my irritation. I ignored the sexual innuendo hidden within those words.