CHAPTER 14

"Are you gonna be away the whole weekend?"

I look at Felicite. "Are you gonna miss me?"

"No," she huffs. "I was just wondering."

I grin before I lean down to kiss her on the cheek. "I'll be home Sunday night."

"Harry is calling you," Lottie says, handing me my phone.

"Thanks, love." I accept the call, then bring my phone to my ear. "Hey, you."

"Do you think you'll be here soon?"

"I think so, yeah. Emily should be here any minute, and we're picking you up before Niall."

"Right, okay."

I can tell through the phone that something is bothering him. "Hey, what's going on?"

"It's just that... well, I was supposed to visit my mom's grave this morning, but I slept through my alarm. It's uh... it's her birthday, so I was counting on making it, but now I can't, not before you get here."

I take a breath and force myself not to tear up. "It's okay, Harry, we'll just make a detour."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive," I say, clutching my phone tighter. "I'll even get you some flowers."

"I didn't take you for such a gentleman."

I chuckle. "They're obviously for your mom."

He chuckles, too, but it's only for a few seconds. "Thank you."

"Don't even worry about it, Harry. I mean, it's the least I can do."

"I'll see you in a bit, then."

I hang up, which is when the doorbell rings, so I let Emily in before I take my shoes on and call for the girls. "Hugs, please."

Phoebe and Daisy jump into my arms instantly, giving me a double-hug. Lottie and Felicite follow right after, both acting as though they'd rather not hug me, but they hold on tight, so I know they don't mind.

"Hey, girls," Emily says.

The four of them greet her in unison, but they don't seem all that enthusiastic. I can't even be bothered to tell them off, so I hug my dad instead.

"Have fun," he says. "But not too much."

"Dad."

"I'm just saying. Emily is too young to have your babies."

I don't want her to have my babies—at least I don't think so. I keep it to myself, though. Alone the thought of having babies with Emily is scary, not because we're still in high school, but because we're not going to be in the same city after we graduate. I'm also not sure I want to raise my kids with her, but that's a topic for another time, preferably when we're older.

I snatch my keys from the counter, then carry my bag outside. Emily climbs into the car while I put our bags in the trunk and steal some flowers from my neighbours garden. I know it's wrong, but it's not like they're going to notice.

I hand them to Emily when I'm seated in the car. "Hold these."

"Babe, why are you stealing flowers?"

"They're for Harry."

"For Harry?"

"His mom, actually."

"I don't understand."

I begin driving, deciding it's probably better if I explain myself. "It's her birthday, but she's... she's dead, so we need to stop by the cemetery."