CHAPTER 12

I wake up in Harry's arms—not just a little bit, but properly so, with my entire body pressed against his. It's like sleeping with Emily, except I'm the one being cuddled. I don't want to admit it, not at all, but I've slept better than I have in a long time. I will absolutely convince myself it's due to the alcohol and Harry's bed, but it might just be because I find it quite comfortable to be spooned.

I look over my shoulder, but Harry is still asleep, so I stay in his hold for a bit longer. I have a pounding headache, but I spend a few minutes trying to recall what happened last night. And it does come back to me, slowly but surely, which leaves me feeling... disturbed, to say the least. I don't mind throwing up in front of Harry, nor being taken care of before falling asleep, but I do mind the things I told him.

"Fuck," I whisper, cringing at the memory.

I vividly remember my own words. It's not unusual in itself, given that I can usually be drunk off my ass and still recall the details the next morning. But this is something else, something very, very bizarre, and I have no idea how to get out of it.

"Louis," Harry mumbles, tightening his grip on me.

I can feel his nose brush against the back of my neck, but I try not to shiver at the impact. "Hey."

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," I lie, turning around in his arms. "I could use an aspirin, though."

"And a toothbrush," he teases, pulling away from me.

"Right."

"I'll make you some breakfast if you want."

I grimace at the thought. "No, thanks."

"Right, you're hungover."

I keep looking at him, biting my lip while I admire his features. He forgot to close the curtains, so the sun is making his skin glow. His eyes are a shade lighter, too, an observation I shouldn't have been able to make. "Did you leave Noah to help me out?"

"I... yeah, I guess so."

"Thank you."

"I was gonna drive you home, but—"

"I know."

"I didn't wanna leave you. I know you could've slept at Liam's, but... well, I don't know. I guess I wanted to make sure you were safe."

"I'm glad," I say, feeling my cheeks burn up. "I really like your bed."

He chuckles. "I can tell."

I don't want to bring up my words from last night, but I feel like I need to so we can move past it. "I know I said some things last night, but—"

"Louis, we don't have to talk about it."

"No?"

"No," he says, hesitantly running a hand through my hair. "I know you were just... speaking nonsense."

I absolutely was not, but sure, let's pretend so. "Right."

"But what's happening next weekend?"

"Right, I mentioned that, too. It's just...uh... Emily has invited us to her parents' lake-house or whatever. I was gonna invite you and Noah, too."

He frowns. "I don't get it"

"Emily doesn't want you to come if Noah isn't there."

"I still don't understand, Louis."

"Look, lately it's been about you more than it has her. It's been pissing her off, so she wants more time with me. And that's why Noah needs to be there, too, because then you'll focus on someone else."