SIX

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙞𝙭 :
lickers and detonations

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

STAIRS. STAIRS...STAIRS... Let Rae begin. Why were there so many in this police station? She knew it used to be a museum thanks to a random pamphlet, but it still seemed excessive. Or it could be the fact that she didn't work out enough, but it was certainly draining her energy, especially with all the running she did between them.

"There's a key over here," Rae spoke as she walked over to a desk with a single lamp shining on it. Looking back at the man she saw him fiddling with a lock on a locker.

"...You should grab it just to be careful." The girl nodded her head and did as he suggested.

The man moved first to open the door behind the locker and waited for the girl to join him. Rae did so and the two walked in a few steps only to pause. "What in the—" Leon moved closer to the girl on instinct when he heard a strange growing noise. It was different than the normal zombie. More animalistic, it almost sounded like a dog pouncing on someone. But not a normal dog, one with multiple issues.

Not the good kind of issues either.

They traveled through the hall that looked like every other hall in the police station. A window covered in condensation at the end showed the cold outside, multiple doors that wouldn't open, and a Leon leading the way. The only thing different was that after cautiously and quietly making their way through, they found a light-colored box at the end of it. On the box was a note,

"What is it?" Rae questioned as Leon read it, although she tried to peek over his shoulder, she couldn't make out too many words due to the rushed handwriting that covered the paper in ink.

Luckily Leon could understand it, "It's a warning for something called lickers...it says to avoid them because they're super quick and their skin is inverted so their muscles are on the outside."

"That sounds...pleasant." The girl whispered as quietly as she could at the new warning.

"Oh, absolutely," Leon added sarcastically as he subconsciously moved closer to the girl.

The two traveled around for a short while, sometimes random noises like creaks or thuds would be heard. Though they never were attacked by any of the infected or these lickers. It was when they entered a library that was significantly brighter than the rest of the hallways that a surprise came from Leon's radio, "Leon, it's Marvin. I need you two back here, ASAP."