Chapter 27

ONE MONTH LATER

"So...everything's good? I can put y'all in the same room again?"

Sam shot a quizzical look at Summer and Bucky, who sat side-by-side across from him at his desk in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s headquarters.

"Yes, you can put us in the same room," Bucky concurred.

"Which is exactly our situation now," Summer winked.

Sam nodded. "Good. It was getting kind of annoying to be honest with you." Turning his attention to his desktop, he tapped a couple keys on his keyboard as he spoke. "S.H.I.E.L.D.'s doing a bit of reconnaissance for a few things. Depending on how they pan out, one of them might turn out to be a good mission for the both of you. Let me see if I can send y'all..."

"Actually, Sam," Summer interrupted, "Bucky and I were going to request that we not be made partners again."

"With the exception of circumstances that deem it absolutely necessary," Bucky chimed in.

"As in, full-on Avengers-like," Summer added.

Sam raised an eyebrow. "And why is that?"

"Well, we talked about it," Bucky explained, "and we figured working together as partners in a professional capacity might be considered a conflict of interest."

"How so?"

The two exchanged looks - the light smile curling upon Bucky's lips made Summer turn away and blush.

Sam stared at them intently for a good long minute, then shook his head. "I knew it."

***

Summer slowly guided the tube of red lipstick across her bottom lip, like a painter marking a clean stroke over a canvas. Smacking her lips with a pop, she stepped back and observed herself in the mirror.

Her long, black hair was down - styled in soft, wavy curls that flowed just past her shoulders, with a corner pinned up beside her forehead. Her dress, purchased from Macy's, was loose and feminine, with puffy sleeves, a fitted bodice, and a skirt that fanned out and swung whenever she twirled. And it was pink, a blush hue that reminded Summer of lemonade on a hot day.

She blinked at the sight of herself. It had been decades since the last time she felt - well, pretty.

Taking a breath, standing straight with her shoulders relaxing, she brushed down her dress before shutting off the bathroom light and heading outside.

There, leaning against the taxi parked right on the curb by her apartment, Bucky waited with his hands in his pockets, donning a navy blue double-breasted suit and tie, his hair styled neatly and parted to one side.

Summer let out a tiny gasp when she saw him. He looked absolutely ravishing.

And Bucky thought the same of her.

His lips curled into a smirk. "Well, by golly, if you ain't the most beautiful baby doll I've ever laid my eyes on."

Summer blushed. "You're lookin' mighty fine yourself, Mr. Barnes."

"Please. Mr. Barnes is my father. You can call me Bucky."

"Bucky," Summer repeated, the name ringing so sweetly. "That's cute."

***

They arrived at their destination, and just as Summer was undoing her seatbelt, Bucky stopped her.

"Wait here," he said.

Hustling out of the car, Summer wondered what was happening as he circled around behind the trunk and over to her side of the vehicle.