Chapter 14

I could do nothing at all as I was dragged away from Leon by the hand, Aito keeping a firm grip on me as though his life depended on it. My brain was spinning round and round and I couldn't wrap my head around what had just happened.
Why was Leon acting so different?
Why was Aito so spiteful towards him?
I couldn't understand.
What was happening...?
"Aito..!" I called his name for the twelfth time. "Really, let me go..! What's going on...?"
Same as earlier, he said nothing, until he finally pulled me far along enough (in his opinion) to release me. We stopped in the middle of nowhere, and Aito leaned his back against a tree, running his fingers through his thick black hair, clearly still shaken. "Aito," I repeated impatiently. "I'm serious! What was with th---"
"It had to be him, didn't it?"
"I-I'm sorry...?"
"It just had to be Leon Aveston, didn't it, Savannah?!"
I began to get defensive as he raised his voice at me. "What is your problem? Why are you getting so pissed off?!" I shouted, tightly gripping my handbag. What had gotten into him...?!
He tangled his fingers through his hair, clearly frustrated. I couldn't wrap my head around why he was so upset!
Suddenly, his demeanor changed, and he seemed to calm; at least enough to look at me without a crinkled face. "Leon Aveston, Savannah. That man comes here quite often, and I doubt there's a single person around here for miles who's never heard of him."
"Yeah, he translates, Aito, what of it?"
I didn't understand...
What was he going on about...?
"That's all he told you, isn't it?"
I blinked. "... I'm sorry?"
"He didn't tell you everything, did he."
It was hardly a question.
I stared at him blankly, frozen. "I... What're you talking about...?"
Aito...?
He stopped then. He looked into my face, his expression unreadable and he stood up straight. "That's enough. Leave it. C'mon. We're going home."
He didn't wait for me to respond before turning away.
I couldn't believe it. "Wh-Huh? H-Hey! Wait! What're you...?!" I trotted after him. "Stop! What did...? AITO!"
He didn't listen...!
What had he been talking about...?!
"Aito!" I shouted again.
In the end, I called out to him several times, but ended up only trailing behind him all the way back to the house, calling out his name to no avail. I couldn't wrap my head around the situation, the whole scene repeatedly playing through my head.
Aito and Leon at odds....
Things just got difficult.
Of course, that was only the beginning.