A Cascade of Curls

Public appearances.

Ladybug thought they were silly. She was a superhero and helped people because it was the right thing to do, not because she wanted any acclaim or recognition for it. But she chalked it up to being a part of the job.

So she smiled and waved to the crowd from the stage where Mayor Bourgeois was giving a short speech, Chat Noir right beside her. He definitely seemed to be enjoying the ceremony much more than she was.

Finally Mayor Bourgeois presented an honorary 'Key to the City' to the pair. They each held part of the oversized bronze key and posed for some photographs. Then they shared a few words with the Mayor before it was over.

"So, do you want to keep this key at your place, or should I keep it at mine?" Chat Noir asked teasingly. "We could exchange it every week or month so we each get some time with it."

A playful eye roll. "Let's just keep it at City Hall, just like everything else."

There was a whole room at City Hall dedicated to Ladybug and Chat Noir. Every time someone sent them a thank-you note or a kid drew them a picture, they were sent there and put on display. After all, they couldn't very well keep them at their homes where someone could find them.

"I think that's your best idea yet, M'lady," Chat Noir purred at her.

"Thank you, I am pretty brilliant," she joked.

"You sure are."

Ladybug smiled at him. But the smile faltered a little when something caught her eye. Nathalie was in the crowd of people, signaling over to her. "I... I'll be right back," she told Chat Noir before making her way off of the stage.

Nathalie took a few steps so they met away from the crowd. "Ladybug," she said, "I'm sorry to bother you but Mr Agreste would like to have a word."

"A word?" Ladybug repeated. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything is fine. He'll be able to explain." Nathalie turned her tablet around so she could see the screen.

Gabriel was already there waiting for her. "Ladybug, I wanted to thank you again for your assistance yesterday. You always go above and beyond for the citizens of Paris."

"Oh, you're very welcome Mr Agreste. It was my pleasure."

"As an expression of my appreciation I would like to invite you to my charity event this Sunday night. It's being held at Le Grand Paris Hotel and you'll be our special guest of honor."

Ladybug was taken aback. She had never been to that type of event before. "Mr Agreste, you don't have to..."

"I won't take 'no' as an answer," he interrupted. "It's the least I can do. And I'm sure that Adrien will be very pleased to see you again."

Ladybug raised her eyebrows. "Adrien will be there?"

Nathalie almost smiled.

"Yes, of course," Gabriel responded. "Now, what do you say?"

After a moment of thought, she gave her answer. "Yes Mr Agreste, Sunday night should work. Just let me check with Chat Noir to see if he's available."

"That won't be necessary. I'm only inviting you to the event."

That was completely unexpected. "Only me?" Ladybug asked, glancing over to the stage area where Chat Noir was busy taking photos with fans. "We usually come as a package deal," she continued to the screen.

"I'm afraid that this time I'm only interested in you."

Ladybug paused. It was an odd request, but certainly not unheard of. "Alright," she finally said. "I'll come to the event by myself."