Red Cheeks

Slumping down the stairs, Adrien's heartbeat quickened when his eyes landed on Ladybug.

In the past, his heartbeat always quickened because he was in love with her. Now his heart was racing for a completely different reason; he was terrified to face her after what happened Sunday night.

Gabriel was speaking to the superhero, but he stopped when he noticed his son. "There you are Adrien," he murmured. "We were just speaking about you."

Both teenagers looked down at the floor, too embarrassed to make eye contact with each other.

"Don't be bashful," Gabriel insisted to them. "After all, you two are a couple now."

Neither of them moved.

"And how fortunate that you stopped by, Ladybug," he continued. "We were just discussing at dinner how Adrien had no means to contact you. I suppose Nathalie's akumatization was actually useful for something. Now, we'll leave you alone for a minute so you can talk in private." He promptly stepped away, Nathalie following his lead.

Complete silence.

Then, after what felt like an eternity, Adrien spoke. "I uh," he said awkwardly, still not looking at her. "I wanted to apologize for what happened."

"No. You... don't have to apologize," Ladybug replied, just as awkwardly.

He cleared his throat. "And I... I'm sorry about the news report. I hope that didn't cause any problems for you or anything."

"Uh no, it's fine. It's not a big deal."

More silence.

Adrien tried to think of something to say. He wanted to explain what happened; that he was thinking of his girlfriend Marinette at the moment and that he thought he was kissing her. But he couldn't say that to Ladybug. She was in love with him, and he didn't want to break her heart. So he decided that it was better to say nothing instead.

A few more seconds passed by before Ladybug's earrings started beeping. "Well that's uh, that's my cue to go," she mumbled.

"Just a moment," Gabriel said, stepping forward once again. "Ladybug, I would like you to come over tomorrow after Adrien is done with school. I'd like to introduce you two properly to the media."

Both of them responded at the same time.

"Mr Agreste, Adrien and I aren't really dating..." Ladybug declared.

"Father, I already told you that we're not a couple..." Adrien insisted.

They both stopped and glanced at the other.

"I'll have none of that," Gabriel asserted in a stern tone. "The last thing we need is a scandal, so as far as everyone is concerned, you two are dating. Once a sufficient amount of time has passed, we'll reevaluate the situation. But for now, you two are a couple, and a happy one at that."

"Mr Agreste," Ladybug argued. "This is a very bad idea. Not only does this put Adrien at risk, but it puts your whole family at risk too. Shadow Moth will stop at nothing to get to me, and that includes going after all of you. I mean, the news report aired Sunday night and two days later Nathalie is akumatized. Do you really think that was a coincidence?"

"I appreciate your concern," Gabriel responded, unphased. "But we're more than capable of keeping Adrien, and ourselves, safe."

She shook her head. "I... I'm sorry Mr Agreste," Ladybug stated. "But there's no way this is happening..."

"I think it's the least that you could do considering the predicament you put us in," he interrupted.

Her mouth fell open. "That I put you in?" she demanded.