A Neck Adorned

It made the news.

While Marinette and Chat Noir spent the evening in her room, the rest of Paris found out that Ladybug and Adrien Agreste broke up.

'An amicable split' was the term used by the Agreste family spokesperson in a statement to the press. And it was further described as a 'mutual decision' that the couple came to after a few months of dating. They broke their relationship off on 'good terms' and still remain 'close friends.'

And, almost magically, the boycott was over. There were no signs of any protesters anywhere around Paris the next morning.

So, with that tumultuous chapter of her life closed, Marinette looked forward to what the future would bring.

Yes, the future was looking bright.

The far off future, that is.

The immediate future, not so much.

Arriving at school, someone approached her immediately.

"Marinette, I am so sorry," Alya said, running up to her in the courtyard that morning. "I was such a jerk to you last night and I feel awful about how I acted."

A relieved smile crossed Marinette's face. "It's alright, I shouldn't have sprung it on you like that. I'm sorry too."

The girls embraced in a hug.

After pulling apart, Alya gave her a weak smile. "So, are you really in love with Chat Noir?"

She nodded.

"And you're really over Adrien?"

"Yes, I am."

Alya paused for a moment. "And you're sure that Chat Noir isn't dating you just because you're Ladybug?"

"He didn't know I'm Ladybug. Not until after we started dating."

An internal debate began in Alya's mind. She didn't know if she should say the words that she was thinking, or if she should just drop the whole subject. But Marinette was her best friend, and she had to protect her. "Don't you think it's a little... strange?" she asked quietly.

Marinette tilted her head. "What's strange?"

"The fact that Chat Noir was madly in love with Ladybug, and suddenly he stops loving her and falls in love with you? Out of the thousands of girls in Paris, he goes after the one girl who happens to be Ladybug?"

"Wha... what are you trying to say?"

"Look, you're awesome, Marinette. We both know that. But think about this rationally. What are the odds that you two would end up together without him knowing?"

Marinette blinked at her. "No, there's no way he could have known."

"But what if he did? What if he figured it out, and that's why he pursued you?"

"No," she argued, shaking her head. "He didn't know. Not until I told him. And... what does it matter anyway?"

Alya sighed. "Marinette, it matters because he's been lying to you..."

"No, he doesn't lie to me. Adrien is the one who lied, not Chat Noir. He wouldn't do that. And even if he did, who cares? I am Ladybug. So, he's just in love with me."

"Come on, girl. You've said it yourself that Ladybug isn't really you. What you deserve is a guy who loves you for you. The real you. The Marinette side. You should be with... uh, someone who's in love with you."

Marinette glared at her. "And who would that be?" she demanded, knowing exactly where this conversation was going.

A shrug. "Well, you know how Adrien feels..."