Meeting Face-to-Face

Her parents gave her the option to stay home. They, along with the rest of Paris, had heard the news.

Marinette didn't take the offer.

The pain would be inevitable. This way, she would get it over with a little sooner.

Just breathe, she told herself. She could do this. No more hiding from the world.

With a head full of determination she opened the front door of her house to leave for school. But she jumped when she saw someone right outside.

"Marinette!" Alya screeched, seeing her best friend. "Oh my gosh, are you okay?"

"Oh, hey Alya," Marinette replied weakly.

"What happened? I've been calling you all morning."

"I had to turn my phone off. It kept ringing, and I can't bring myself to look at it yet."

Alya moved up close and started whispering so that no one could overhear them. "Did you tell Adrien that you're Ladybug? Is that why he kissed you last night?"

A sad head shake. "No, he doesn't know."

Alya blinked at her. "Oh my gosh," she repeated. "So he was...?"

"Kissing someone else?" Marinette finished for her. "Yeah, as far as he knows."

"Oh my gosh, I don't believe this," she muttered before hugging her. "I'm so sorry. I can't believe he would do that to you."

Marinette nodded into the hug.

Pulling back to look at her again, Alya continued. "Why would he do that?"

"Oh come on, Alya. You know why. It's because he doesn't like me, not the way I like him. He didn't even want to date me in the first place."

She wanted to argue back, but didn't. All the evidence was against her. So she just gave Marinette a sympathetic look as they started on their quick journey to the school building. After a minute of silent walking, Alya thought of something. "Okay, so you definitely didn't tell him that you're Ladybug. But what if he figured it out on his own? You know, because you've been spending so much time together recently."

Marinette shook her head. "There's no way he figured that out. And even if he did, why wouldn't he ask me about it or mention it? No, there's no way that's what happened."

Alya didn't want to give up hope. She racked her brain for another possible explanation. But she had nothing.

So they walked up to the front steps, both of them noticing that there was no silver town car at the curb. Then they made their way inside, only to be startled when someone said something right as they entered the courtyard.

"Marinette," Adrien called to her from his hiding spot behind the door.

Both girls jumped.

Then, when she caught her breath, Alya narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms across her chest. She wouldn't be performing any disappearing acts this time.

After making eye contact with Adrien for a split second, Marinette had to lower her gaze down to the floor.

"Marinette, can I please talk to you?" he asked desperately, stepping up to her.

"I don't think she's in the mood to talk right now," Alya answered on her behalf.

"Please Marinette?" he tried again.

"What could you possibly have to say to her, Adrien?" Alya demanded. "Haven't you done enough already?"

"Alya!" Marinette groaned in protest. "There's absolutely no need for that. Why don't you just head to class? I'll meet you there in a minute."