An Arm and A Leg

With the assistance of Ms Bustier, Marinette was able to make it through most of the morning without having to see Adrien again. They did have chemistry class together though. And Mrs Mendeleiev didn't seem to care about the drama going on behind the scenes.

But Marinette was able to avoid him and she quickly rushed home once it was time for their lunch break.

"Hi sweetie," Sabine said when she came in through the bakery. "How was school?" Her voice was normal, but on the inside she wanted to cry, knowing how upset her daughter must have been after what happened.

"It was fine," Marinette replied, not wanting to elaborate. "If it's okay with you, I'm going to eat up in my room."

"Of course."

"Thanks Maman," the girl said before grabbing some food and going upstairs.

And while she was in her room eating and trying to forget about her life, there was a bit of a commotion going on downstairs.

It all started when Adrien came into the bakery. Looking around and not finding Marinette, he sheepishly approached the counter. "Hi Mrs Cheng," he said quietly.

"Hi Adrien," Sabine replied, torn about whether to be angry with him, or pity him. The poor boy seemed miserable. "How are you?"

He didn't answer the question. "I was uh, hoping to see Marinette."

"Now's not really a good time," she sighed, shaking her head.

He nodded. "Okay, I understand. Uh, could you please just let her know that I stopped by to see her?"

"I will."

Another nod before he started for the door. But he stopped and turned back. "I uh, I want you to know that the news report wasn't true. I haven't been dating anyone else except Marinette. It was just something my family made up to explain the pictures. I don't want you to think that I was going around behind her back or anything."

Sabine gave him a weak smile. "Don't worry about that, dear. I believe you."

"Thank you." He was about to turn to leave but froze as Tom came around the corner carrying a tray of freshly baked rolls.

Noticing Adrien there, the man stopped short, almost causing the bread to go flying off of the tray. But he managed to save them. Then he narrowed his eyes as he took an angry step forward. "What are you doing in this bakery?" he demanded.

"M... Mr Du... Dupain," he sputtered, fear filling his heart. "I... I came to see Marinette."

"How dare you show your face around here after what you did to her!"

"Oh for goodness sake Tom," Sabine muttered, grabbing the tray from him and placing it on the counter. "Calm down before you get yourself akumatized again."

"I want you to get out of this building immediately!" he continued to Adrien, not taking his wife's advice.

"I... I'm sorry. I know I messed up. It was a horrible, horrible mistake," Adrien said, putting his hands up in a defensive stance.

"We don't need to hear your excuses, just get out!" Tom yelled.

"I will, I just... I want you to know that I'm sorry, and that I want to keep dating your daughter."

A beat of silence.

"You want to keep dating Marinette?" Sabine asked softly.

Adrien vehemently nodded. "Yes, I do. I'm in love with her."

Silence again.

"You're in love with her?" Sabine repeated, glancing over at her husband.

Tom crossed his arms. "If you do love her, you sure have a funny way of showing it."