Another Betrayal of Lips

Marinette didn't return to school after the lunch break.

Going through the bakery, she gave a weak excuse to her parents about not feeling well and asked to stay home.

There was no objection. In addition to her rain-drenched outward appearance, both Sabine and Tom could tell that there was something seriously wrong. So Sabine quickly agreed and sent her to her room to rest. She didn't even bother asking about her missing umbrella.

Relieved, Marinette trudged up the stairs and went to her bedroom. After waving the kwamis away, she climbed up the steps and collapsed on her bed. Then she covered herself with a blanket and closed her eyes to shut out the world.

There were no tears. She reckoned that she had hit her limit of crying for one lifetime. So she simply lay there, trying her best to keep her mind empty.

And time passed her by. Before she knew it, her mother was knocking on her door.

"Marinette," Sabine called, cracking the door open. "Alya's here to see you. Is it alright if she comes up, or do you need to rest?"

The girl sat up and looked over. "Is anyone else with her?"

"Uh no," Sabine replied a little confused. "She's by herself."

A moment to think. "Okay, you can let her come up," Marinette said. Then she climbed out of bed as her mother disappeared. By the time Alya came in, Marinette was waiting for her on the main floor of her room.

And Alya did not look good. It was safe to say that the day's events had taken a toll on her.

For a second the two girls stood facing each other. Then Alya stepped forward. "I'm sorry," she said, her voice full of sincerity.

After hearing the words, Marinette stepped forward too and embraced her in a hug.

Alya seemed a little relieved when they broke apart. "I'm really sorry I didn't tell you."

"Let's just forget about it, okay?"

"Okay."

"But I do need you to tell me," Marinette continued. "When did you find out that it was him?"

"Just last night, I swear. I kind of... confronted him after he left your house. And I found out then."

Marinette nodded. "So, is that what all of the 'I'll take the Miracle Box so you can know Chat Noir's identity' talk was about?"

"Yeah," she admitted. "I just wanted you to find out as soon as possible. Because it wasn't fair that you didn't know."

"Well, thanks for always looking out for me."

"I'm your best friend, Marinette. It's my job to look out for you." Alya shook her head. "But I'm sorry about how I've acted recently. I really was just trying to protect you. I know I totally overstepped..."

"No, it's okay," Marinette said quietly. "I know you had good intentions."

Silence for a moment before Alya dared to ask a question. "So... what now?"

Another moment before Marinette dared to answer. "I don't know," she whispered. Then she covered her face with her hands in anguish. "Oh Alya, how did everything get so messed up?"

"It... seems like it was complicated from the start," she offered weakly.

A nod. "Yeah, I guess it was." Then she paused before she continued. "But wait, no it wasn't. I mean yes, it was complicated at the beginning. Back when I was dating Adrien. The actual Adrien. But then it wasn't complicated anymore when I was dating Chat Noir. Everything was... simple."