On His Knees

It all started when they were at their lockers at the end of classes. Alya and Nino left together, leaving him and Marinette all alone.

"How's the dress coming along?" Adrien asked her once he finished returning his books.

"Really great," she replied from her locker two meters away. "It's actually done."

"Done?" he repeated, stepping closer.

"Yeah."

"Oh, that's uh... that's awesome. I'd really love to see it." He kept moving until he was right up next to her.

"Well I can definitely take a picture and send it to you," she said, her focus on putting her things away.

"You made the dress for yourself, right? Like it fits you?"

"Yeah, I usually make all my designs in my size. That way I can model them and post the pictures."

Even closer. "Maybe you could wear it to school someday. That way I can see it in person."

She laughed. "It's a little too fancy for school. I'd look like I was crazy." She finally finished with her books and closed her locker door. And she was startled to find him right next to her.

"You wouldn't look crazy, you'd look beautiful," he said softly.

She blinked up at him. "You... you haven't even seen the dress yet. It might be as beautiful as you're imagining it to be."

"It will be beautiful... because you'll be wearing it," he insisted, reaching over and placing his hand on her cheek.

Marinette didn't pull away at the touch.

This was it. This was what Adrien was waiting for.

So caught in her gaze, he slowly leaned in. Then his eyes fluttered closed as he approached his destination.

But just as he was about to press his lips against hers, she turned her head. "I can't," she whispered, her voice strained.

Adrien's eyes blew open wide as he moved back, his heart filling with crushing sorrow. And it only felt worse when he realized that's how she must have felt when he did the same thing to her.

"I'm sorry," Marinette continued, tears welling up as she kept her gaze away.

After a second, he shook his head. "No, you don't have to be sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have tried to... I mean, I want to kiss you, but I know you're not ready yet. Marinette, I'm so sorry."

She couldn't look at him. All she could do was focus on not crying.

"I'm sorry," he repeated. "Like I told you before, I'll wait. I'll wait until you're ready."

"No Adrien," she whispered. "You don't understand. I'm never going to be ready."

And his world screeched to a halt. "What?" he asked breathlessly.

"I can't do this."

"Marinette, please listen to me," he said, attempting to cup her cheek again. This time she stepped back from him. With his heart sinking, he forced a weak smile. "This whole thing with Ladybug will be over real soon, and then we can be together again."

She shook her head and covered her mouth with her hand, trying to hold back a sob.

"We just have to hang in there for a little bit more," he continued. "Then everything will be back to the way it was. We'll start dating again, and we'll both be so happy..."

"I need you to stop," Marinette forced out. "We're not getting back together."

"Bu... but Marinette, I love you so..."