Mind-Boggling

The hug lasted a full minute before they separated.

"Please don't be upset," Marinette said. "It wasn't real. Adrien told me all about the news conference this morning at school. His father is forcing both of them to pretend that they're in a relationship. So the kiss didn't mean anything. Please don't be upset."

Chat Noir blinked at her. "What are you talking about? Why would I be upset?"

"Uh, because you're in love with Ladybug?" Marinette offered, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

He shook his head. "I... uh, I'm not. In love with her, that is. Not anymore."

It took a few seconds for her to respond. "Not anymore?" she whispered.

"No," he confirmed.

"But why not?" she asked, almost accusingly.

'Because I'm in love with you' is what he wanted to say, but he didn't. He didn't want to freak her out. So he muddled the truth. "I uh, just thought it was time to move on. She's always made it clear that she wasn't interested, so I figured that it's for the best if I respect her wishes and back off."

Blown away by his explanation, Marinette could only nod in response.

"So I'm not upset," Chat Noir continued. "I came here because I was worried about you. I mean, you must be upset after what happened."

A pause. "I'm not."

"You're not?" he repeated, completely confused.

"No."

He shook his head, still not understanding. "But Adrien... he... you know... kissed her."

Marinette shrugged. "Yeah I know. But come on, it's not like it's the first time that's happened," she added, trying to lighten the mood. "Seriously though, he warned me ahead of time. Not about the kiss specifically, but that they had to pretend to be a couple. And... that's exactly what they were doing. They were pretending."

Blown away by her explanation, Chat Noir could only nod in response.

"So I'm okay," she reassured him with a faint smile.

"Are you sure?" he asked slowly.

"Yes, I'm sure."

He nodded again. "I guess we're both okay then?"

"Yeah," Marinette replied with a laugh. "I guess we are."

Putting his hand to the back of his head, he gave her a relieved smile. "Uh, so where does this leave you and Adrien?"

"Me and Adrien?" she asked, obviously confused by the question.

"Yeah. Are you going to date him again? You know, after the whole pretend-relationship with Ladybug is done?"

She narrowed her eyes at him as a smirk made its way to her lips. "I thought you were over her."

"I... I am."

"Then why are you asking? Do you want me to distract Adrien so you can have a shot with Ladybug or something?"

"No," he protested. "That... that's not what I want. I'm just... curious."

A bigger smirk. "You know what they say about cats and curiosity, don't you?"

And he couldn't help but smile back. "I'm well aware of what they say. But I'm seriously asking, are you going to date him again?"

"No," she replied with a head shake.

"Why not?" he asked, the smile disappearing from his face.