Chapter Sixty-seven: Point of No Return

He'd been lost in the shadows for so long that he didn't remember what it was like to be in the light anymore. Norman hadn't felt like this in years, not since before the diagnosis. With this level of clarity, he'd thought about all the wrongdoings done in his name and it disgusted him.

Everything he'd done to Stiles; Norman would never forgive himself for it. All he could do now was try to atone for his sins. What he had told him was the truth; the Lycan serum could save Officer Stilinski's life with the right adjustments.

The boy was busy with his Spider-Man duties, he was certain of it. Otherwise, he'd reason that Stilinski would already be out of his coma and back home. Norman opened the folder on his desk of the formula for the serum that restored Derek to prime condition. This was the basis for everything. All the horror and pain that he'd unleashed, knowingly and unknowingly, all started here.

I'd been so focused on saving my own life I ignored the code I lived by, the one Emily went by. If I'm going to fix this, I need to do this myself... not as that monster, but as the scientist who Emily loved, the one she would expect of me.

It was time for him to get to work, and hopefully save a life in the process.

"Hey, what are you guys doing here?" Harry asked with a grin as he opened the door to see Stiles and Lydia.

"We haven't really had time to hang out, and Lydia's trying to keep me from wallowing in my house, so I figured we could kill two birds with one stone," Stiles explained.

"That sounds about right. Jack"ass" won't be around so we can enjoy ourselves, not that he'd be much of a problem."

"Why's that?" Lydia piped in, as Stiles audibly gulped. He never did tell Lydia what exactly happened with Jackson the night they broke up.

"Stiles scared the hell out of him, that's why. You should have seen him, you wouldn't have recognized our favorite geek," Harry beamed with pride, patting Stiles on the shoulder. "I knew he was protective when it came to you, Lyd, but damn. Remind me never to make you cry."

"Duly noted," she smirked, looking up at the wall-crawler as he tried to not make eye contact.

"I was having a bad night anyway," Stiles scratched the back of his head. "Besides, he was drunk, so I was at an advantage."

"Say what you want, I've never seen Jackson get a taste of his own medicine like that. Honestly, I bet that was why he didn't come to school after that."

Lydia couldn't help but wonder what exactly went down that night, but from the sound of it, it was probably better she didn't know. With Stiles' super strength, who knows what he could have done.

As the three went and sat down in the living room, Stiles noticed Norman was nowhere to be found.  After their talk, he figured Norman would have come home, seeing as it was getting close to dark.

"Where's your dad?" the teen inquired.

"Oh, uh... he said he's going to be late tonight. Said something about a special project he wanted to get done."

"Special project?"

"He didn't explain. Dad rarely tells me what's going on in the lab. If anyone would know, I'd have to say Lydia would be your best bet."