Why Me?

Shelby's POV

Is it just me? Does this happen to every kid? Hi, I'm Shelby. I'm 17 years old and they were all great up to me being 14. When I was 14 my parents died in a plane crash. After that Noah (my brother) was my legal guardian. He was only 19 and was in college. He was so depressed after the plane crash he took it out on me. He started hurting me and not just any hurt either. He would hit, kick, slap and any other physical abuse. He also took me out of school so I couldn't tell anyone about all the abuse. That also meant leaving my best friend Mackenzie. I've known Mackenzie since 3rd grade and she is also 17. We were planning to graduate together and move to Destin, FL. When she found out that I was being taken out of school all of our dreams were crushed. We thought it was the end, and for me it really was. My brother beat me so bad sometimes that I thought I was going to die. I haven't talked to Mackenzie since then so I bet she has moved on from me. She was my first real best friend and sadly she was my last too.

So , today is my 18th birthday!! Yay, somewhat I really don't want to know what Noah has planned for my birthday. I'm afraid to even go down stairs on my most exciting birthday of my life. So, I went downstairs and saw a suitcase packed and it was by the door. "Are you going somewhere Noah?" I asked. " No you are." He said. " Where am I going?" I asked. " I don't know that's for you to figure out." Noah said. " Wait you're kicking me out?" I asked. "Yeah!! Wow you are so slow." He said. " Where am I suppose to go Noah?" I asked. " I don't know, but don't get that tone with me!!" He said. As he slapped me across the face. " Ouch!!" I said. "I'm only 18 how am I suppose to support my life?" " Get a job I don't know , but I do know you are now legally an adult. So with that GET OUT!!" Noah yelled. " OK. I'm going." I said as crying. Wait why am I crying I'm finally leaving my brother, but now where do I go?

I got the bag and walked outside and Noah slammed the door. I don't get it I'm finally free I should be happy, but I'm not. The only person I could think of going to was Mackenzie. So I went to her house that she lived in when I was in school hoping to find her there. I finally arrived and walked to the door and rang the doorbell. A very older teenager opened the door and said "Hello." I said " Hi I'm Shelby I was wondering if the Jackson's still lived here." The girl said " Yeah I'm Mackenzie who are you looking for?" I had an extremely happy look on my face and said " Um you actually Mackenzie." she looked at me confused and said " Me?" I said " Yeah hi Mackenzie it's me Shelby." Mackenzie then said " Shelby there is no way that's you." I said "Yes, Mackenzie it's me. Oh my god I missed you so much!!" As we hugged her mom came out and asked who I was. Mackenzie told her it was me and her mom pulled me in for a hug and accidentally squeezed my arm on a bruise and I let out a groan. She asked " Shelby dear what's wrong?" I said "Nothing my arm is just really bruised." She asked " Why?" I was so scared to tell her so I didn't say anything. she just looked at me confused and took me inside and me and Mackenzie went upstairs. When we got to Kenzie's room she asked " Why is your arm bruised?" I didn't say anything I just lifted my sleeve and she gasped at all the bruises that Noah put on my body. She finally broke the silence and asked " Who did that?" I told her " Noah did this." She asked shockingly " Wait, your brother did all this?" I nodded. She looked at me with surprise. She asked " Why?"

"I don't know really he was just really depressed after my parents died that's all."