Chapter Sixteen

~•~

Amabelle's POV

Sunlight picked at my eyelids, making me flinch awake. The blankets covering me were warm and provided a welcoming heat. Pressed directly behind me in the bed was the other source of warmth. I smiled at the outstretched arm draped across my body. Dante's hand lied right next to mine, I noticed, inching it closer.

Curious, and since Dante was still fast asleep, I slid my hands to his empty one. I moved my thumbs over his palm. The skin felt harshened, his callouses rough. It was the hand of a working man. A king, with working hands... it made me wonder what Dante did in his spare time.

Nevertheless, the hand was my mate's, and as I fingered the shape and lines of it, little bites of tingles simmered through the tips of my fingers. The tingles went all the way into my arm, causing shivers down my spine.

Dante's fingers twitched, making my eyes widen. Then his whole body shifted, his chest moving closer against my back. His lower half came along with it, resting fully against my bottom. My cheeks blossomed pink as I felt a morning surprise against my bum.

His lips were right next to the back of my neck as he breathed. "Good morning, mon amour."

I swallowed, letting out air I didn't realize I was holding. "Good morning."

"Mmmm, belle, turn, I want to see your face." His voice was a tad hoarse, and I must say, gave me butterflies.

Rolling over, my eyes met with a pair of soft blue ones. Dante smiled, and placed his hand on the side of my face, caressing my cheek. Sighing at his touch, and the comfort it brought me, I shut my eyes briefly.

"Je t' adore," Dante murmured under his breath thinking I could not hear him.

Opening my eyes, I grinned. "What did you say?"

Dante just smirked and moved his head closer. "I adore you."

I bit my bottom lip, hearing this made me giddy. He adored me, and secretly I was beginning to adore him. My heart started beating a little faster in my chest. I wondered if he could tell, his effect on me.

Heat rose to my cheeks like a slow lantern drifting toward the sky. Dante noticed the change in temperature of my skin, his eyes drifting down towards my lips... was he going to kiss me?

I took a steadying breath, his fingers fumbling downward until they slid over my peeled lips. At that moment I felt my heart thundering in my ears, the shivers flowing along my entire body. Inside my wolf almost purred, a slow whine that was anything but innocent.

And then he moved his fingers back to my cheeks and tilted my chin so our eyes could meet. The sunlight bounced off his crystallized ones, captivating me. He grinned, a charming sultry smile that gave me butterflies.

"I would like to make things easy for you today. I will not leave your side today, and if you're interested, I would like to take you somewhere special." Dante boasted, sounding both mysteriously alluring and protective.

This King just keeps making me nervous...

It wasn't just that I was excited about whatever he had planned for me.

It also made me incredibly grateful. I didn't want to think about Kamil, or what had happened. I accepted that it had, and I wasn't avoiding it, I just wanted to be done with the situation. I didn't want to reimagine the betrayal of someone I thought was a friend.

Besides, there were far more important matters to be dealt with...

"I would love that," I answered simply, the blush never leaving my face.