In Command - Part 17

The sun filtered in through the cave entrance, bouncing off the surface of the small pool of water and the various rock formations, warming the bare skin on Senna's shoulder blades as they poked out from under the blanket. Gently, she shifted, turning her face to look at the sleeping form lying next to her. Rex's face was peaceful as his chest rose and fell in rhythm with his deep breathing. She felt his grip on her waist tighten as she moved, a smile playing across his lips as he slowly opened his eyes to look at her.

"Good morning," she whispered.

"Morning," he rumbled.

"How do you feel?" she asked, her fingers trailing across his chest to the bandages over his wound.

He smirked. "All things considered, not bad." His eyes were playful, and she propped herself up on her elbow to look at him.

He examined her face, taking her in as her brown hair draped over her shoulders. It was sticking up in odd places, and yet perfectly framed her cheekbones as her eyes sparkled in the soft morning light. "You're beautiful," he breathed.

"I'm yours," she responded, leaning in to kiss him deeply.

"You sure?" he asked, his hand trailing along her back.

"Yes, for the first time in a long time, I am," she said, resting her forehead against his.

"I should get up and get us ready to move out when Echo gets here," she whispered after a few minutes. "I expect they'll be here sometime before this evening."

Rex tightened his grip on her. "Just a little while longer? I've been wanting this for a long time."

She thought about it and then slipped back under the blanket with him, wrapping her arms carefully over his chest. "Me too," she whispered, tucking her head into the soft spot near his shoulder. "What are we going to tell the others?" she asked after a few more minutes.

He let his fingers run through her hair, twirling her curls over his fingertips. "Whatever we want. We don't even have to if you don't want to."

She turned to look at him, resting her chin on his chest. "I don't really care if you don't. I just don't want people to think that we...we're compromised and unable to do our jobs. This rebellion is everything to me, Rex."

He grunted a little, brows furrowing. "Yeah, well they don't seem to reciprocate that feeling."

"Is this about the Ilum information? Rex, they've got to make the best decisions they can based on very small pieces of intelligence. If they don't think it's feasible, then I have to respect it, whether or not I agree with it."

He looked at her. "Do we? We risked a lot for that information, and to have it just shrugged away is...I don't even know. Infuriating. It fits with everything else we've provided, so why would they just toss it away?"

She sighed, turning to press her cheek against him again. "I know. Trust me, I know."

Rex stared at the ceiling of the cave for a few moments, trying to carefully word his next question. "All of that, the not having our intelligence valued by leadership that isn't out in the field with us, doesn't that...bother you? And make you think that maybe this isn't all worth it?"

Senna squeezed her eyes shut. "Of course it bothers me, but what other choice do we have? It's do this or do nothing."

"Would nothing be so bad?"

"I don't think I could live with myself."

He sighed. "Yeah, I thought so."

She looked into his eyes again. "You could just walk away from this that easily?"