Love is All You Need

Calum POV

"She's still in surgery," Jenny informed me, after returning to the seat next to me.

I let out a sigh, and ran my fingers through my dark hair.

"She's been in surgery for an hour already," I mumbled.

"She's lucky to even be alive. I was informed she has a lot of brain damage, you know. If you want her to live, she has to have surgery."

I just sighed again, and focused my eyes on my shoes. Then I remembered something: Barbara.

I pulled out my phone, dialed the number, and put the ringing device up to my throbbing head.

"Calum! Have you heard anything?" She answered on the second ring.

"She's in surgery right now, and apparently has brain damage. But don't trust me, because SOMEBODY IS BEING IMMATURE, AND WONT LET ME SEE HER, BECAUSE I APPARENTLY TRIED TO 'ATTACK' A DOCTOR," I yelled the last part loud enough for the security guys to hear me. Meanwhile, Jenny was trying to stifle a laugh. I was getting irritated looks from numerous people in the waiting room, but I just shrugged it off.

"Brain damage? What kind of brain damage, Calum? Will she be okay? Oh my go-"

"Hey, calm down. I'm sure she is going to be fine. There is no need to worry." I'm not sure if I was trying to convince her, or myself. Probably myself, because I knew how little Barbara actually cared about Ava.

One time, Ava got into a fight with Barbara, and left her house. She stayed at a friend's house for almost 2 weeks, and Barbara didn't even text Ava to see if she was okay.

I think the only reason I was being so nice is, because if it weren't for Barbara, Ava wouldn't have even moved to Australia, and I wouldn't have met her. As much as I hate to admit it, Barbara gave me the best thing I have ever been able to call mine.

"Okay, Calum. I have to go. I'm getting on a plane, right now. I'll be there as soon as I can."

We hung up, and I let my eyes wander around the room. If this room could have a feeling, it would be depressed and anxious, with a lot of worried.

"I'm supposed to be comforting you," Jenny broke the silence.

"I'm not sure there is much you can do, until I see her."

"Look, I'm not promising you that she will make it, but I know that you will see her, again."

"In a casket? Right before she is about to be buried? Before she even turns 20?" The volume of my voice was raising, but Jenny didn't seemed phased at all. I stood up, and continued my rant. "Before I can apologize for yelling at her, and telling her we should break up? It's my fault she's here! It will be my fault if she dies!" I grabbed a magazine that was neatly layed out on the small table, and threw it across the room, as hard as I could.

"Mr. Smith, it's normal for you to want to blame yourself, but it's no one's fault."

"I'm not stupid. I know the reason she left the hotel in the first place, was so she could be gone, before I got back. It is my fault!"

"Every married couple goes through this, Mr. Smith. It could have happened to anyone."

"Stop calling me Mr. Smith! We aren't married. I just said that, so they would let me up here. I'm just her boyfriend." I started out yelling, but I ended in a whisper. I was trying to hold back the tears, but I miserably failed.

"Wait, let me get this straight, Mr..."

"Hood," I answered, through my tears.

"Mr. Hood. You lied to the workers here, including me, just so that they would let you up here. You almost punched a doctor, because he didn't tell you where he was taking Ms. Smith, and you yell, cry, throw a magazine, and blame everything on yourself?"

I just nodded. For a social worker, she wasn't doing a good job at comforting me, while I cry.

"Then, she is really lucky to have somebody like you. I don't even think my husband would do all of that. I can tell that you are really in love."

"How did you ever get that idea, Sherlock?"

"My point is," she laughed, "sometimes love is all you need to pull through. If she loves you, she will fight, so she can be alive for you."

"I hope so," I whispered, again.

A doctor walked out of some doors and into the waiting room. His eyes scanned the room, as he opened his mouth, to speak.

"Mr. Smith?"