Ten

When I woke up I was in Carl’s cot. Carl was sitting at the foot of the cot sharpening his knife. I sat up. Carl looked at me. “Hey Rose.” He smiled. “Hey” I smiled back. Just then I heard running. Then I saw Patrick, he was out of breath. “Patrick are you okay?” He looked like he was going to pass out. “I’m fine” He breathed out. “I heard your” He took another breath “voice and wanted to” Another “see you.” I laughed at him “Soooo you ran at the sound of my voice? That’s not creepy at all” I was still laughing when I heard Carl “I would've come running” he said really quietly. I blushed.

Just then Shane came up to me and licked me. I laughed more. It’s been a long time since I've had a dog jump on me and lick me. Then Daryl popped into the cell. “You're up.” He said matter-of-factly. “Yeah. Yeah I am.” I had my smart ass grin plastered on my face. Daryl rolled his eyes. “I didn't come here to get your crap Rose,” he paused and I laughed. “I came here to tell you that you’re not coming on anymore runs”

I looked at him, “But daddy.” I whined. “No Rose” His voice was firm. There was no changing his mind. Then I did the unthinkable. I looked at Daryl with puppy dog eyes, my lower lip quivering slightly. “I said no. end of story” and with that he walked out of my cell. My gaze dropped. Going on runs was so much fun. I didnt want to be cooped up in a cage the rest of my life, but at the same time I could see why he worried. The past two times I've gone on a run something has happened.

I was shaken out of my thoughts by Patrick. “Rose…” the sympathy in his voice was thick. He hugged me “Please don't hurt yourself over this” He whispered so quietly that only I could hear. He released me from the hug and walked out of the cell. I looked at Carl. just then Lori walked into the cell. she sat at my feet and licked my hand.

“Carl” I said quietly “Yeah?” He responded “Who was Lori?” I asked, looking into his blue eyes. We sat in silence for a while. Carl took a deep breath “She was my mom” He said finally, a few tears fell down his face. “Ah. I. Im sorry. Im. Sorry.” I felt bad. “It’s okay. You didn't know” He gave me a weak smile. “No Carl. It's not okay. I know what its like to lose your parents. Mine were killed in front of me when I was six, then I was put in a foster home.” I never told anyone about my parents or my foster parents. “She died giving birth to judith… I..I had to..” He started crying. I reached out and hugged him. He returned my embrace,  putting his hand on my lower back. I tensed up "I'm sorry sir" I said before I could control myself. Carls cries were softer, and I was certain he heard me. "I'm sorry sir? What was that from?" Carl asked through his cries. Shit. "I. Uh. it's. Nothing." I whispered. I didn't want him to know. "Rose. Cut the crap. Even when I'm in a fucked up state I can still tell when you're lying." He pulled away from the hug, a few tears still fell down his face. I sighed and stood up. "What are you doing?" He asked. "I'm going to show you the reason Daryl found me running for my life."

I said while turning around.

I hesitated but finally lifted the back of my shirt, revealing the scars I got from my foster parents, and the reason I ran from their group once I saw my chance. I was a little insecure about my body so I quickly put my shirt back down, only to feel Carl's hands pull it back up. I felt his hands grasped my hips, and I tensed up as I felt his breath over the scars. Then he kissed them, Each one of them. I felt tears go down my own face, if he reacts to this I definitely don't want to tell him about my arms."I kissed the scars on her skin. I still think you're beautiful. And I don't ever wanna lose my best friend." Carl was singing. He was singing Pierce The Veil. A small smile crept it's way on my face. "Song: A Match into Water. Band: Pierce The Veil. Album: Collide With The Sky." I whispered. I felt Carl smile as he was kissing my back. "I'm sorry this happened to you, Rose." He stopped kissing me and stood up, wrapping his arms around me. I hugged him back. we stood in silence for a long time.

Just then I heard Daryl “You shithead! I thought you were dead!!” He yelled at someone. Their footsteps got closer, and soon they were outside the cell. I looked at Carl nervously before I pulled the curtain open. I saw daddy and I glared, still pissed off from what he said earlier, then I saw the other person and my mouth fell open in shock. “Merle!!” I screamed, then ran over and hugged the one handed man. “Hey pretty lady.” He said.

Daryl looked at me, shocked. “I recon you two have met?” Daryl raised and eyebrow. I nodded. “he. He helped me when I was with The Governor.” I spat the last part. Daryl nodded. “Well then I guess its time you knew.” He paused. “Knew what?” I asked. I looked at Carl who just glared at Merle. I released the man from the hug and looked at daddy “Merle and I are brothers.” I looked at Merle, then back at daddy. I looked at Carl again, who was still giving Merle the death stare. “That makes sense” was the only thing I said, then I walked away. I didn’t want to be near daddy at the moment.