Chapter 2- A Way Forward

Later that night Mom and I went over to Kukui's place and watched the World Championship. Cynthia defeated Lance 6-5, she's incredible, maybe someday I might get close to her level...maybe if I lived in a perfect world. I don't. Kukui turned to me after the match, "You know, we've got many people calling to challenge you, we don't have a stadium or anything so you'll have to battle them on Lanakila. Do you think you're up to defend your title tomorrow." I shook my head, "No. But I'm gonna have to be." Kukui nodded. "Yeah, I tried to get the funding to build a stadium on Poni, but they said that we need to have an established Champion first... and if you could become that Sun, I'd be really grateful."

I went to sleep that night and was assaulted by many thoughts, does Lillie even think about me? Is she ok? Am I washed up now? Will I ever be better? Can I be who Kukui wants me to be? I don't know. I may never know. All that's left for me to do is to keep pushing forward day by day. It's not what I want to do, but who knows? Things might get a little better...maybe... hopefully.

I woke up the next morning and took a long time to do my usual short morning routine. I went for a morning run with my team and ended up falling flat on my face. Embarrassing, but it happens... I laid there for a while, devastated... what's wrong with me? Running on 0 motivation is just no way to live. Problem is I just can't fix it. That's how it is though, and I gotta move forward. I flew over to Mount Lanakila and said hi to Hala, Olivia, Acerola, and Kahili before sitting on my throne and turning one of my pokeballs over in my hand while waiting for a challenger. I began to pace around as the hours passed, elite four must be cleaning house pretty good with these challengers. Just then a fiery looking guy with an electric guitar came up the stairs to the battlefield. I turned to him, "Ah, I see you've made it through. Welcome to the summit of the Alola League. I am Champion Sun, as you know, who are you?" The man stood still at his trainer's box, " 'Name's Ryuki. I'm the gym leader at the Kantonian Gym in Malie. Unfortunately for you I'm gonna have to introduce myself as the Champion from now on." I elected to ignore the last part, "Alright Ryuki, I assume you know the rules. 6 vs 6. First to 6 is the Champion. Whenever you're ready." And so the very first televised Alolan title defense began.

5-5. I was in no shape. I was getting bested by a trainer I would've ran circles around just a week ago. Last up was Ryuki's Dragonite against my Lycanroc. Fortunately for me that's a decent matchup. After a decently long tussle, Lycanroc put it away with a well placed Accelerock. The commentators boomed, "THAT IS IT! Champion Sun has defended his title!" I felt a rush in me that I hadn't felt in days. Was it happiness? Maybe, feels more like satisfaction. I waved with the best smile I could muster to the TV camera. I can't lie, it feels pretty good to be Champion. It isn't the main thing I always wanted after I met Lillie, but it sure is nice. I sat back down on my throne and awaited more challenges. As great as that last battle was, it really shouldn't have been close. I could've beaten him easily, like 6-3 or something, but I just don't feel good. Really I feel quite different. Battling with little motivation to win is just tough, there's no reward in pulling off a good move or dodge, it just feels empty. Eventually more challengers got through and I turned them all away 6-4s and 6-5s each time. I was getting nervous with how many people pushed me to the edge of my limits. Luckily my team came through, though they seemed a bit off too, of course they were almost as close to her as I was.

After a long day, the announcement came through that the last challenger had been defeated by Hala. That meant we were all free to go. I rose up from my throne and dusted myself off before walking down the stairs and heading to the main building where the Elite Four is. I got to the bottom of the stairs and saw Kukui leaning up against the door way. "Sun." I nodded, "Kukui." He sighed, "Sun, those were some good battles for TV, the ratings were crazy... but you didn't look your best out there." I shrugged, "I know. I think my best days might be past me though, I'm just not motivated at all." Kukui shook his head, "Man, I knew you and Lillie were close, but not that close. You're gonna have to move past it soon though, you can't be like this for the rest of your life." I shook my head, "Look, if I could afford a trip to Kanto right now I'd go, and that would fix all my problems, but I can't. So I'm gonna have to work here until I can." Kukui looked distraught, "You don't have any ambitions at all, you don't want to be a World Champion or anything?" I looked at him, "I thought we weren't eligible." Kukui scratched the top of his head, "Well...we aren't, but I'd like to think that if we have an unbeatable looking Champion in here for a few years straight, then maybe they'd consider it." I chuckled, "You mentioned that was your dream wasn't it? To have an Alolan in the World Championship?" Kukui nodded solemnly, "For starters... I mean what I really want is an Alolan World Champion, but I would be really happy if we could just get in." I nodded, you know maybe even though my dreams were shattered, I can still help someone else's, that could be fulfilling to me, I patted Kukui on the shoulder, "Then I'm gonna do it. Ring the people on Poni and tell them to build that stadium." Kukui reeled, "They- They already said no, they don't think you'd be a big enough draw to make a prof-" I waved him off, "Well then I'll see if they're brave enough to say it to my face. We're building that Stadium, and we're gonna have the best matches the world has ever seen there." I pushed past the doors and didn't even bother looking at Kukui's reaction.

It was about 4 PM when I got out of the building and flew over to Poni Island. I strutted in to the building where they handled development on Poni island. The desk attendant greeted me, "Ah hello, do you have an appointment for a meeting?" I shook my head, "I don't." The person nodded, "Well, I'm sorry but you'll have to make one, we might be able to get you in in a few weeks." I sighed, "Well I suppose that's alright, you sure they don't want to see the Champion though?" The person perked up, "Ah! I thought I recognized you from somewhere... hold on I'll get the President to meet you soon." I sighed, you know it shouldn't make a difference that I'm the Champion but whatever. I made my way up to the President's room and sat down in front of his desk. "Champion Sun. What brings you here?" I shook my head, "Professor Kukui suggested building a stadium here a while ago, Manalo he wanted to call it, and I think you should take him up on that." The President shook his head, "Do you really think you have that much power?" I stared at him and answered blankly, "Yes." The President sat back, "Well you know, to make a profit on a stadium like that we'd have to pack in about 10,000 people pretty consistently, and if you didn't know that's about half the people on Ula'Ula' Island alone. I don't think you can draw that many." I took out my phone and pulled up the TV ratings for today's battles, "You don't?" I slid the phone to him and watched as he read the numbers. "Well, those are certainly impressive, if all those people came in person then we'd be fine. I don't think they will though." I shrugged, "Fine. I guess you don't need to hear about the fact that I'd be contributing a large portion of the cost with my own paycheck as the Champion. I guess I'll just take this idea somewhere else." The President sighed, "You drive a hard bargain Champion, If you'll contribute as much as you say you will, and we split ownership of the stadium then I'll make it happen." I smiled as I began to walk out, "You've got a deal. Manalo Stadium will be packed. I guarantee it." I walked out and then flew over back to my Mom's house.

Author's Note

The stadium plan is in motion! I like to think that Sun has such a helpful personality that helping Kukui is what starts to drag him out of this rut. Thanks as usual!