Envy In Your Eyes

The time has come. I'm going to try to dodge going to the summit with dad. I don't wish to go because I'd rather be doing something else. Like maybe my homework? I don't know. My hands are rest on the dressing table. I raise my eyes just to meet my reflection. I feel pretty, I smile but it vanish's soon after, as a thought crosses my mind.

How different would we look if the mirror perceived past our physical beauty?

It's hard sitting upright, I just want to lay on bed all day. I have homework pilling up. My cheer practices have lost the spark. I do everything because I have to. Not because I want to.

I wish I could sleep through the woefulness and wake up when it will be more jubilant times.

Reluctantly I stand up and leave my room. As I go to the living room I see my parents on the phone, my mom then looks at me and smiles.

She compliments me, "You look stunning!" I thank her. Dad just smiles.

"Ready?" He asks, I nod. And we depart.

***

We reach Hilton Hotel's and Resort's. The building looks big. I come here to meet Aiden frequently but I had never payed heed to the stunning details of the structure. After the security check of the car, dad drives towards the parking lot where I see many fancy car's parked.
It suddenly reminds me of my status. I'm a nobody between all these Ferrari's and BMW's. I look over at dad, and he has the same phrenic conceptions as me.

He owns an old model of Pajero, his car is marginally comparable to mom's Prado. I brush these thoughts as I undo my seatbelt.

Wordlessly we both walk towards the Gate where a sign saying Rios Group Of Companies Welcome Guest's to the 25th International Summit, in an immensely colossal fancy wooden board. I click a picture for my Instagram story. As soon as we enter the sizably voluminous hall I discern the diversity of the guest's, many European, American, Japanese and South Asian people crowd the place.

There is a stage, with the same wording but digital sign.

Dad pause's briefly, "Are you alright?" He asks.
"I feel okay." I reply slightly breathless. Seeing so many people unnerves me, weird because it hasn't happened before. They grin with their mouths, with diamonds on their necks and swiss watches on their wrists. They look proud. Way too proud, of what, that I don't know.

Their smiles don't reach their eyes.

We resume ambulating towards a table, dad meets his colleague there.

"Baek!" Dad verbalizes merrily, the gentleman smiles and shakes hands with dad.

"Now the party is going to look good." He verbally expresses with a kind smile, adjacent to him stands a boy around my age.

"Meet my son, Hyun Soo." Dads colleague verbalizes, I look over and visually perceive a rather shy boy. He is wearing all ebony outfit, looking akin to the cryptic boys in wattpad books.

"Hello." The boy verbalizes, and he nods at me. Dad elongates his hand and they shake hands.

"This is my daughter Elenor."

"Hello." I verbalize elongating my hand. I firmly shake hands with dad's colleague.
I nod towards Hyun Soo.

Dad and his colleague verbalize more, I stand by dad not focusing on the conversation.
My attention diverts back to the conversation when I hear my name pop up.

"-that's great, Elenor wants to peruse marine biology too. She is the ultimate advocate for sea life in our house." Dad praises me. I smile genuinely.