Chapter 3

"Welp, here we are." I said as Ajay pulled up in my driveway. We got out of the car and when I got to the front door I checked my pockets to see if I had my keys. Sure enough, I did and unlocked the door. I remember that one time I forgot my keys I had to break the window. The neighbors didn't know who I was so they called the cops on me which resulted in me making friends with officer Jackson.

"It still looks the same." Ajay said.

"Yeah, we don't do a lot around the house. Even though I stay home most of the time, I just don't have the energy to paint the walls a different color or add a new carpet." I went into the kitchen and offered Ajay a soda. He took it and drank it all in one gulp.

"So how did you know I was in trouble?" I asked him.

"When I was driving past the police station, I saw you get out of a police car."

"Oh." I said and took a seat across from him at the dinner table.

"Where are your parents?" He asked me.

"Yeah about them, they left for Vegas and never came back. They took most of our money out of the bank account and ran off together."

"Shit man, that's fucked up."

"Yeah I know, but we're doing ok right now. Except for the fact that my brothers have to work all day everyday."

"What do you do?"

"Me? I just sleep, eat, and clean the house...if I feel like it." This made Ajay laugh which caused me to laugh as well.

"So where have you been these past few years?" I asked him.

"Texas, I told you that before I left."

"Ok, but what have you been doing in Texas?"

As soon as I asked the question, I saw Ajay's expression turn from happy to serious. And if there's one thing that I fear the most about Ajay is when he gets serious.

"If you don't want to tell me that's fine." I said quickly.

"No, I do want to tell you, but I don't know how to tell you without it confusing you."

"Just tell me Ajay. At least sum it up." It took him a few seconds to respond and he nodded.

"Well, when I went out to Texas with my mother I thought everything would be fantastic. But in the end it all turned to shit. I...fell into the wrong crowd. I hung out with people that committed crimes and this one time we got caught. I got off easy by giving them a name, but I still feel like shit afterwards because my mom had to sit in the police station and pray to God her son doesn't get arrested."

"How's your mom by the way?" I asked. I guess I shouldn't have said anything because the next thing I knew, Ajay slammed his fist on the table and I jumped. He looked up at me and I saw sadness in his face.

"I'm sorry Blake, I didn't mean to scare the shit out of you...it's just that I thought I was prepared for it."

"What do you me-oh shit." I knew exactly what Ajay was talking about now. You see, before Ajay moved to Texas, his mother had developed breast cancer and she wasn't fighting it off that well. I told Ajay to be strong for his mom and on the outside he looks like he doesn't give a shit, but on the inside I could tell he was fucked up.

"Sorry dude, I didn't know." I said.

"It's ok. I never really told anyone my mom died." Ajay and I sat there in an awkward silence and I was about to break it when he asked me a question.

"What?" I said.

"I said, do you want to go with me."

"Go where?"

"To Kyrat, it's a place where my mother grew up in. She wanted me to spread her ashes there at Lakshmana."

"I don't know Ajay. The last time I went out of the U.S. it didn't end all that well for me." I started to remember all the bad shit that I did in Rook Islands.

"Why? What happened?"

"Um, it's complicated and I really don't feel like talking about it." Every time I think back at Rook Islands, all I can remember is seeing Vaas die. Vaas's death hit me pretty hard just like Ajay and his mom's death.

"Did something really bad happen?"

"Yeah...a lot of bad stuff happened and I don't ever want to remember that shit." I started drumming my fingers on the table to stop myself from breaking a window. Thinking about all the bad shit that I did makes me feel like I don't deserve to live and that I should be locked up.

"So, do you want to go with me?" Ajay asked me.

"Not really Ajay, but if you need my help just call me and I'll come running." I said. Ajay nodded and I let out a sigh of relief. Ajay is one of those people that I really like. When you reject his offer, he doesn't cry like a little bitch. Instead he understands and doesn't bring it up again.

"I should probably get going. The plane is going to leave tomorrow morning and I haven't packed."

"Alright man, see you later." I said and I led him out the door. I waved to him as he was backing out of my driveway. I went back inside and laid down on the couch. Today was an eventful day. As long as my brothers don't find out I got in trouble again with the police, I'm all good.

(Later That Night...)

I was watching cats fighting turtles on t.v. when my phone rang. I slowly walked over and picked it up. Ajay was calling me and I quickly answered.

"Hello?"

"Blake? Do you know what time it is?"

"It's...2:54 am, why?"

"You're still up?"

"I should be saying the same to you."

"You got me there, but I just felt like I need to talk to someone."

I turned off my t.v. and sat down at my desk. I turned on the lamp and leaned back in the chair.

"What do you want to talk about?"

"About the trip, by the way I'm not going alone. A guy named Darpan is going with me and he says that he'll do the talking. What does that mean?"

"Well, you are going to a place that isn't near the U.S. so maybe they don't speak English over there."

"Yeah I guess you're right. So if I get into any trouble I'll call you."

"Yup."

"Ok, just checking."

"You should get some rest Ajay, you'll need it for the ride to...that place."

"It's Kyrat, and I'll just sleep on the plane."

"Alright, but why did you call me this late?"

"I don't know, I just felt lonely."

Now I felt like a complete shit head for rejecting his offer. Ajay has no one, but me and it feels like I'm avoiding him. I told my brothers about the trip and they both were silent the whole time during dinner. I guess they too didn't want to remember the last vacation we went on.

"If you want me to go-"

"That's ok man, I got Darpan with me."

"Ok." I said.

"Yeah...bye." Ajay said.

"Bye." I hung up and I felt like ripping someone's head off their body. I know it sounds cruel, but right now it sounds like a good stress reliever.