Chapter 15

As soon as I woke up, I heard a loud trumpet noise coming outside my window. I got up and shut the window, but I could still hear it. I got dressed and went outside to find out the source of the noise. Pagan and Paul were standing in front of the main gate talking to each other and covering their ears. I walked over to them and asked about the noise.

"I think it's an elephant making all that racket." Pagan said. We all cringed when the elephant made another trumpet noise.

"We should put it down or something." Paul said. He pointed to his gun and Pagan nodded.

"Wait, can we not kill it?" I said. They both looked at me with raised eyebrows.

"I love animals." I said. Animals make me happy, even if a bear was mauling me to death, I wouldn't give a shit...okay maybe a little, but I still love animals.

"Then do something about it or Paul will." Pagan said. They both walked away and I pushed the main gate open and followed the sound of the elephant's cries.

When I saw the elephant, it was being attacked by wolves. I had no weapons, so I was screwed. I made eye contact with the elephant and it made a loud trumpet noise. I broke off a large branch from a tree and hit one of the wolves on the head. The sound it made broke my heart. It sounded like a dying dog...those sad memories of what happened to my dog.

I wacked another wolf on the head and the branch broke. The other wolves started to notice me and they were all focused on the new piece of meat. I backed away slowly and then made a run for it. I forgot some animals can outrun humans, and I wasn't the fastest runner in the world. I saw a tree and climbed until I found a sturdy enough branch and sat on it.  The wolves tried to jump and gnaw at my feet. I laughed at them, but I heard a cracking sound. I turned to see that the branch was slowly breaking off.

I looked down and all I saw was death. The wolves had a hungry look in their eyes and I didn't want to die this way. All of a sudden, I felt the ground rumble and I saw the elephant running towards me and I wanted to jump off the branch, but I'll get eaten. The elephant slammed into the wolves and they all went flying up in the air and landed with a thud. Some of them didn't get up after they hit the ground, but the rest ran away howling. I watched the elephant trumpet loudly in the air and I screamed too.

But I heard a loud crack and I had one of those moments in a cartoon where the floor falls beneath the person and they are standing on air and before they know it, they fall. The branch broke off and I fell and hit the ground with a loud thud just like the wolves. I landed on my back which hurt my spine the most. I hissed in pain and tried to sit up. The elephant made its way towards me and I got up, but was hunched over because of the terrible pain in my back.

"Thanks for saving me buddy." I said and patted it on the trunk. It held up its trunk and patted me on the head. I didn't even know elephants could do that with no one teaching them. I observed the elephant and noticed that it had a large scar on its left eye and it- or should I say he, was a boy. I walked back to Pagan's fortress, but whenever I walked, I would hear heavy stomping right behind me. I turned around and the elephant was following me.

I know how this shit happens. It always happens in the movies. A boy or girl becomes good friends with a random dangerous animal and they go on awesome adventures together and soon enough they treat each other like family. Then one day the animal or person gets killed and one of them is left in emotional heart break. I didn't want to cry over this animal's death, but he saved my life and I saved his. But he seems like a good friend.

"What should I call you...Barry?" The elephant gave me a look with its one good eye and it wasn't a happy look.

"Okay, how about...Dumbo?" The elephant raised his trunk in the air and trumpeted loudly. I smiled and patted him on the leg.